1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Almost) a full season of Thursday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1-2 a year.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If it takes playing every night to strangle that pseudo-amateur sport, then by God let them play every night.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If I'm ESPN and still paying big bucks for the MNF package --which was aloaded with awful games last year -- I would not be happy.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN agreed to the terms. Part of the reason ESPN was able to afford MNF is because it was the fifth choice of games, rather than the second choice that NBC gets for the Sunday night game.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Only reason I wasn't a fan of the Thursday Night NFL this year were the announcers;

I love Nessler, but I would rather listen to my gay neighbors fuck each other than listen to Mayock.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

ESPN pays tons more than NBC. Its pecking order in game selection has nothing to do with it.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of these night games will have a guy named Tebow playing in them?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I hope travel will be considered when drawing up the Thursday schedule as well. Having San Francisco and Philadelphia fly cross-country on a short week was ridiculous.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The home team was 7-2 on Thursdays last season, and the two wins were by teams traveling less than 500 miles.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Teams will switch to travel where they leave immediately after their Sunday game, whether they're at home or not, land in the Thursday venue, and practice at a prearranged facility, as if it were a one-week Super Bowl turnaround.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Anyhoo, I would still watch college football on Thursday nights, even though I do have NFL Network. But ESPN will probably insist on still featuring ACC teams, thus giving the NFL a solid toehold for the night year-round.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would think most fans would do as I would do, look at the two matchups and pick the one I was most interested in. Perhaps it will lead ESPN to step up the Thursday night college game quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted