1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Almost) a full season of Thursday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/03/nfl-network-plans-13-thursday-night-games-in-2012/#content

Thursday night football for Weeks 3-15.

I think this is great. I know I'm in the minority, but I would rather watch football on Thursday night than I am on Monday night.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Go for Friday nights too.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is no reason not to use the bye weeks for those early games, at least -- the teams playing them are off the previous week, leading to 10 days off before and 10 days off after. I am sure they won't do this.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And there's already Week 1 with the season opener at the home of the defending champ.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Too much.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's why I think this is great.

The Thursday night game (with the exception of the opener) is usually going to be a pretty mediocre game. I am much more willing to watch the Rams and Jaguars on Thursday than I would on Monday. With ESPN getting the fifth choice of games in most weeks for MNF, I find myself a little starved for football by Thursday night, but by the time Monday night rolls around, I'm usually burned out, especially if it's a mediocre game, which the majority seemed to be last season...

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If he wanted to plow through with this, they should have enacted the second bye week as they did for that one season back in the '90s.

Another transparent money grab, as is most things with Goodell.

The Jaguars had at least two primetime dates last season, btw.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe the SEC and Fat 10 can start playing on Sundays and Mondays now.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The big question is when they go from 12 to 16 playoff teams -- a game Thursday night, one Friday, three Saturday and three Sunday. Playoff ratings being what they are, it's tens of millions of dollars per year just by adding those two games. And by going to 16, they will keep 80 percent (or more) of the teams in the league alive for a playoff spot until the final day of the regular season.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I watched Goodell's presser, there was a question early about the shitty Sunday night and Monday night games this season and he said he didn't agree with that, he thought all the games were great. Guess they pay you the big bucks to say that shit with a straight face.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, that 62-7 game was great for televised football.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

They had every team guaranteed a prime-time game back in the late '90s, too. I don't recall that being a resounding success.

Draft saved Draft deleted