1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allianz Stadium? Simon Wiesenthal would not approve

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 10, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wish I were a man of wealth and taste. :-\

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Word for word.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Smash, your point is well-taken, especially on the Hearst point and I agree with OOP and watertart about the time element playing a big factor.

However, there is a difference between Hearst and companies like IG Farben and Volkswagen. Hearst had his issues, but profiting from and/or taking an active role in state-sponsored genocide wasn't one of them.

Volkswagen's history is something I'll never be able to get past. The company was founded by the Nazis and got its wheels (so to speak) on the backs of slave labor, hundreds of thousands of whom died building up that company.

Should Japanese-Americans boycott insurance companies that helped insure the internment camps? It's their call to make, not mine, but I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

4. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Anyone buy gas at a Lukoil station? What about Chevron? Anyone eat fruit from Dole or Chiquita? How about Union Carbide - they owned Eveready batteries, Glad bags, Simonize. Most large companies have done things in the past that upset some group. Some worse than others. Good luck in finding ones that are pure enough to do business with.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Upset?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actual participation in attempted genocide definitely fits on the worse than others side of things.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, losing 6 million of their number really got the Jews' goat.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Now, now, this is supposed to be a happy occasion. There's no need to argue or bicker over who killed who. [/grailjack]

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, if it happened far enough in the past, everybody should just let it go?

Let's try applying that one all over and watch people's heads explode.

10. david kaye

david kaye Member

Well done.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I do make it a point to avoid Citgo gas, but that's about it. And if the Venezuelans sold it off or punted Chavez, I'd have no problem resuming business with them.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

a conspiracy. round up the usual suspects....

Draft saved Draft deleted