1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allianz Stadium? Simon Wiesenthal would not approve

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 10, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What personal crack?

If the point is something other than "This company helped fund the Nazi movement" then I still don't get the point. My point is so did Mercedes-Benz. So did several other companies. I just still don't get why this one is any worse or any bigger of a deal than any other.

Are you against every company that ever funded the Nazi movement? Or is it just this one? THAT'S what I've been trying to find out.

2. david kaye

david kaye Member

This is making my head hurt.

I think I'll stay away from the Bayer aspirin, though.

3. imjustagirl

Thank you.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Provides sort of an interesting ethical quandry, though: Would you rather people drove, say, American cars that got a lot fewer miles to the gallon instead?

(And I realize that there are Japanese cars out there that get good mileage and probably don't have any kind of historical problems, but, still, just a thought I had.)

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Actually, Dixie, there are Jews who drive VWs (Mercedes, too, IJAG). That's their prerogative, or at least a subject for a different thread.

Try a Southern frame here: If the Georgia Dome was negotiating with Quaker to use the name Aunt Jemima Stadium, would you think that was acceptable? Smart? Well, actively profiting from genocide is even worse than offensive stereotypes.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Naming the stadium after Allianz was fine at first, but then it went too far.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did Bayer actually work with the Nazis, maybe supply drugs for concentration camps? If not, then the comparison doesn't fit.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I knew that, although not to that level of detail. But at what point are the companies allowed to try and carry on normal functions? There are a bunch of insurance companies who made nice profits insuring slaves back in the day. If one of them wanted to buy naming rights to the Georgia Dome, would it provoke outrage? (And I actually came up with this before waterytart's post. Kinda scary.)

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Bayer performed chemical experiments on the prisoners.

11. imjustagirl

Someone would be offended by Aunt Jemima Stadium? Really?

12. david kaye

david kaye Member

yes

Bayer executive Fritz ter Meer was sentenced to seven years in prison by the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal

Draft saved Draft deleted