1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allianz Stadium? Simon Wiesenthal would not approve

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, "compelled" like chemical company IG Farben was "compelled" to provide Zyklon B to those "camps" out in the hinterlands.

"Compelled" like two prominent German banks were "compelled" to keep the money the Nazis stole from Jewish families and "compelled" to finance the construction of those pesky camps.

These companies knew full well what they were doing and it was a criminal oversight their CEOs weren't prosecuted for war crimes after WW II.

To their credit, Allianz and the banks have gone out of their way to come clean on their Nazi involvement, yes, largely out of varying degrees of self-interest.

But OOP is right. Why do you want that kind of PR, especially in an area with a large Jewish population?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did I miss the part where Allianz was?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you're perfectly fine with Allianz?

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Take your tongue out of your cheek and you have no idea how right you are, Dixie.

Ferdinand Porsche (yes THAT Porsche) founded Volkswagen in the 1930s as a way to fulfill Hitler's desire to build a "People's Car" or "Volkswagen."

Two of Porsche's good buddies who helped him set Volkswagen up and provide it with slave labor: Hitler and Heinrich Himmler, head of the SS. Der Fuhrer bestowed numerous honors on Porsche, who also played a big role in the invention of the buzz bombs used indiscriminately on English citizens just because.

By the way, the man responsible for actually providing Porsche with the human capital used to crank out those Beetles -- Fritz Sauckel -- was convicted of war crimes at Nuremberg and hanged.

So when it comes to equating Volkswagen and the Nazis, it's not really that big a leap. It's also why me and nobody in my family will ever drive a VW.

5. imjustagirl

Define "perfectly fine."

I've never heard of Allianz. I'm not Jewish, so for me to speak to how this decision applies to someone who is would be dishonest.

However, I was just making the point that virtually any German company that existed back then was involved in some way. To arbitrarily decide THIS is the straw seemed weird to me.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you, dooley. At least somebody has some sense.

This isn't about having a problem with Germans. This is about having a problem with a company that participated in genocide for financial profit.

Apparently some people here are too excited about the opportunity to take personal cheap shots or too dense to understand the difference. Perhaps it is a bit of both.

Edit: No IJAG, you did not miss the part about where Allianz was. You missed the part about what the company did.

7. imjustagirl

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE5DC1139F930A1575BC0A966958260

Thank you.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All I know is, no way will the joint ever be called Allianz.

9. imjustagirl

Which is fine. My issue with oop acting like this is the first time any company with Nazi ties tried to sponsor something is NOT me saying this is a good idea.

10. outofplace

Did you even bother to read the story? They insured concentration camps. They ripped off German Jews. Their chief executive was a Nazi.

I didn't arbitrarily pick this one. Somebody sent me a link to the story and I reacted the specific story. I am Jewish. I'm also part German. My father-in-law worked with the Simon Wiesenthal Foundation. So yes, this one does strike a chord with me that you probably don't understand.

I guess it was just easier to start with the personal cracks.

11. imjustagirl

Did you read my link? Or are you just rambling?

Oop, I have none of the issues with you others do. You're woodwork to me. I would have made the same response to anyone who posted this, even your boy BYH.

12. outofplace

I don't care if your response was rooted in who I am on this board or just the specific post, you still went for the personal crack before you even understood the point.

Draft saved Draft deleted