1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AllHeadlineNews.com News Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsnut, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I know its not sports but they are really new I think. So if you are a sports writer, I bet they need some.

News Writer I
    Department: Editorial
    Telecommute: Yes

This is an entry level part-time position with potential for full-time within 12 months.

Responsibilities:

AHN is accepting online applications from candidates who can develop and write brief, topical stories in a wire service style for a wide variety of beats/channels.

Requirements:
    High School Diploma or equivalent. College degree is preferred.
    One (1) year newsroom experience.
    Must be proficient with computers and word processing systems.
    Demonstrate news judgment, editorial and creative skills.
    Mastery of journalistic ethics, standards and libel laws.
    Must be able to effectively and efficiently telecommute.
    You must be able to provide a high volume of brief stories with minimal editorial supervision.

Desired:
    Some college or university

News Writer I (entry level)
    Department: Editorial
    Telecommute: Yes

AHN is expanding its U.S. and International news reporting operations and we are seeking accepting resumes from entry level news writers who can develop and write original, brief, topical stories in a wire service style for a wide variety of beats/channels.

These are part-time entry level positions with potential for advancement based on attitude and aptitude.

Starting at $8-10/hr depending on experience.

Responsibilities:

You will write news and features, meet tight deadlines, pitch story ideas, copy edit, take photos and proofread. This is a telecommute (remote worker) position using the AHN virtual newsroom.

Requirements:
    High School Diploma or equivalent. College degree is preferred.
    One (1) year newsroom experience.
    Must be proficient with computers and word processing systems.
    Demonstrate news judgment, editorial and creative skills.
    Mastery of journalistic ethics, standards and libel laws.
    Must be able to effectively and efficiently telecommute.
    You must be able to provide a high volume of brief stories with minimal editorial supervision.

Desired:
    College Graduate.

This is a telecommute (remote worker) position using the AHN virtual newsroom. What in hell is this virtual news room? What do they give you a laptop and say we now have an office in NY?

All jobs are all posted on
    http://www.allheadlinenews.com/corp/employment/ All Jobs
    http://www.allheadlinenews.com/cgi-bin/careercenter/results.pl Editorial Jobs

2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

I, along with several people I know, applied at this place several months ago (cue the crickets chirping in the background)...still have heard nothing. Nor has anyone seen anywhere where AHN stuff is actually used. The articles I've seen on there, sports wise at least, are basically rewritten PR's...(hack,hack)....excuse me bad cough there sorry

3. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I agree. They had a NASCAR gig open a while back and I, and a couple colleagues, sent in some info and never heard back from them. I'm not trying to brag, but I think I have enough credentials to receive, at the very least, a "thanks, but no thanks" e-mail. I wouldn't hold your breath if you're applying for this...

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This came to me via a Google alert.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007026466

Just throwing this out for general consumption, commentary, insight.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I just got an email from one of the sports editors over at AHN saying they had a sports gig open and if I could send them some clips and why I would be fit for this gig.

I sent my stuff in like a week or so ago about a general assignment gig and then they send me that? Also they told me NOT TO CALL he would call for an interview.

Like some of you have said about not seeing there stuff being used anywhere? I have never seen any of there stuff. But maybe they are not to old and don't have to many big clients like the AP yet?

I don't know just posting it to see what will happen. But I do agree it is nice to atleast get a "The job has been filled" "You don't have the credentials or experience needed for this gig etc etc"

6. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

I'm kind of stunned that you actually got an email from them...but you bring up a very good point about all employers...I'm used to getting rejection letters/emails on the writing side, that's part of the gig, but when I apply for these media/newspaper jobs I never hear anything..nada, zip. I understand that editors are busy, but how hard is it to have someone somewhere along the line send a 'we got your resume' or 'sorry we think you're a putz' email or letter?

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I got an email from the guy but I have not heard from them since. If I was an excellent candidate how long does it take to get back to you?

But I would take the job as a step in the right direction of possibly moving to the big AP at one time or another. I have been calling AHN the baby version of the AP.

I got this in an email "Our content services are used worldwide by web sites, newspapers, digital signage networks, TV/Radio stations, magazines, portals, websites, charities, governmental entities,
    educational institutions and other organizations." But like I have said before, I can't seem to find any big magazines, portals or websites that use the content.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Quote from the link,"Sorenstam said in a statement."
    [blue] Wow, rewriting PRs. What fulfilling work![/blue]

9. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I wouldn't apply for this or anything like it ever again, unless it was a well-established site, like Yahoo or something. Got tied up in a e-paper last year in West Palm Beach that made themselves sound like the now kings of media and all I did was cut and paste wire stories for 8 hours a day. At that point I would've been happy to go cover rec league soccer. After spending assloads of money to move and get situated, the company folded about a month later (and I've yet to get a w-2). Moral of this story is, do not waste time with a dot com unless it's a NASCAR.com or something like it.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I don't know I am still waiting for an email again from the sports editor to see what's going on.
    They have been alive and kicking for a while so I don't think they will close anytime soon but who knows.

Plus if they just do copy/past work why not be the guy/girl to come in and do the work the right way and get a name because of it?

11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

No, no cutting and pasting, they rewrite them....Rewriting PR's isn't all that tough, they can be reworked rather easily to appear otherwise in a very short amount of time. And if an editor doesn't know where to look to find the original than they never know. I think the biggest sin comes when someone actually puts their name on it as though they actually wrote it...I edit a small website now and have seen the practice before with some of my writers..excuse me former writers..

12. KG

KG Active Member

I rewrite a lot of pr's for two of the departments. The pr's usually come in full of advertorial and I have to make it into something that's actually interesting. Needless to say the 30 or so pages of PR's I get for each department gets shrunk down to about four pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted