1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allergies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So far this spring I had been doing OK. Then yesterday I got off the treadmill went for my first outside run of the spring. Last night when I woke up to the earthquake, I realized my eyes were itchy and my nose was running, and sure enough when I woke up for good a little while ago, I'm in full-blown allergy mode. I've been through half a dozen tissues in the last hour, despite the Claritin. (Claritin clear my ass, you full of fail fuckers).

So what do you do to take care of your spring allergies?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Locally-produced honey helps me.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What do you do with honey? Eat it? And that helps?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes.

The guy at the local natural foods store suggested I try it. Since the bees are local, they're making the honey that contains pollen from local plants which are causing the allergies. By eating that honey, it's letting your body build up a little defense for that particular type of pollen.

Of course, if you're allergic to mold, dust, mildew, dogs, cats, etc. it won't help. But if you're struggling with pollen, it should.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've had bad allergies my whole life and get weekly shots. It's a pain in the ass but it's the only way for me.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I am the all-time leading allergy sufferer. The Hall of Fame once wrote, asking for one of my snot-filled hankies.
    Many years ago, I was removed from a little league game because my eyes swelled shut (I wanted to tell the coach it didn't matter, I wasn't going to catch anything with 'em open, either, but I think he already knew that.)
    An Allegra-D prescription is the greatest thing in my spring world. The only real side effect is dry mouth; I carry a couple sugar-free hard candies on my runs and pop one in when my throat starts sticking together. See your doctor. The stuff they have these days is great -- way better than Claritin.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I had to get a weekly shot.
    Thankfully, the worst aspects of my allergy problems have faded.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rubs it on his body and attracts bees which sting him. Doesn't cure the allergies, but makes the other problems seem harmless.

I used to use all kinds of things; now it's Benadryl and Flonase, the latter coming from a high school buddy and physician who calls in scrips as needed for me.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread, Rusty. Reminded me I needed to take my allergy medicine.

Rhinocourt works well for me. My wife works in a doctor's office and gets free samples.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Clarinex (prescription) does the trick for me better than anything else I've tried.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Used to take some nasal spray that worked great for me. It also caused Ms. Slappy's lungs to shut down from the steroids. So I changed over.

Draft saved Draft deleted