1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allentown Morning Call eliminates 10 positions, including two in sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13045">A memo is posted on Romenesko.</a>

It mentions that the 10 positions will be eliminated partly by not filling four positions and partly by four retirements. So I guess it only is laying off two.

Positions lost in sports are a copy editor and a reporting position, which is being "reallocated" as an online producer.

It mentions that there will only be one assistant sports editor. I assume that means there used to be two?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Allentown Morning Call eliminated 10 positions, including two in sports

Within the next two years, I'll bet that a third of the people in the newspaper business are forced out of their jobs in some capacity...

3. That might be a little drastic, but it's certainly going to get worse before it gets better.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

5. No rebound? Ever?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's been a good paper for a long time.

I think the move to a universal desk is shortsighted. I don't think becoming more generalized is the way to compete with niche-oriented, specialized competition. Newspapers need to maintain expertise.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A few other papers have moved to universal desks recently. I don't like it myself, but it's the wave of the future.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

40 video cameras in the newsroom?

9. Mizzougrad96

The only way I see it getting better is if websites the equivalent of ESPN.com, Sportsline, Fox Sports, SI.com etc... are launched...

Beyond that, I've yet to have somebody adequately explain to me how it's going to get better for newspapers...

10. Mizzougrad96

Anybody who thinks a universal desk is a good idea has never seen a newsside transplant work a sports copy editor shift... To be fair, I'm not sure I would want our sports guys editing cityside copy either...

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

At my last shop, they were switching from regular cameras to still/video combos. They were sort of bulky, but since we're making newspapers like TV now, why not?

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I felt like I worked twice as hard fixing the mistakes that happen with a universal desk. No way in hell is it a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted