1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Alleged) Armenian Genocide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 12, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry, just seems to be parsing words for the sake of criticism, much like the "radical Islamic terrorism" bit. I don't know why this isn't enough. Is he supposed to state it every time? Why?

“My firmly held conviction [is] that the Armenian genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence,”

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, God forbid it be pointed out what a conventional, cowardly politician Obama turned out to be.

That really gets under people's skin.

And Hillary will do the same thing.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ah, there it is. The Clinton.

4. YankeeFan

Did you read the article closely?

He said that in 2008 -- as in, before he was president.

He hasn't said it while president, despite promising to do so.

5. YankeeFan

Another guy that didn't read the article.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Just so we're clear ... ISIS is one of the greatest threats to out security by almost all accounts, but we should piss off one of our allies in fighting them over a word. Based on an incident that happened 100 years ago and that has already been acknowledged as genocide by the "cowardly" politician being criticized? Seems reasonable.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I read it. I'd rather assail the president for not going after the Wall Street racketeers.

This is just another masturbation point on your never-ending list.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

President Obama is absolutely fearless when it comes to symbolic gestures that might piss off ... white folks in flyover country.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Turkey is fighting ISIS? Where?

They're fighting the Kurds, who are fighting ISIS.

And, what was his pre-ISIS excuse?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I did. More than once to try to see what I'm missing. Still much ado about nothing. So he didn't use a word that he has used before, president or not. This whole thing is silly to me. And I apologize to any Armenian-Americans who might be offended, and I'm sorry for your families' suffering.

11. YankeeFan

Or Israel.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

According to the article:

But officially designating the Ottoman Turks’ actions as “genocide” would have deeply angered Turkey, a NATO ally and a pivotal player in the coalition Obama has assembled to wage war on the Islamic State in neighboring Syria.

Draft saved Draft deleted