1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Alleged) Armenian Genocide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 12, 2015.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

There's nothing alleged about it.

Jerry Tarkanian's parents moved to Ohio after surviving it.
    Gotta respect Pope Francis for using the word"GENOCIDE" to describe it.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

They crucified some of them? Holy shit.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My grandparents got out of there in time, but my great-grandparents did not. There was a language barrier between my grandmother and me and she never talked about this. My dad didn't either. He never wanted to talk about WWII very much either.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep. the Western powers basically entered a tacit agreement not to make an issue of it in exchange for Turkey remaining our stable ally in the crazy Middle East.

Armenians are of no importance to us, Turks on the other hand are much needed, so one of the most horrific events in world history--one which should be regarded as a seminal historical event of the 20th Century--basically gets whitewashed from most history books.

5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Sad but true. It's up to the victims' descendants -- the Armenian American population of Los Angeles County's San Fernando Valley is bigger than Armenia itself -- to keep the memory alive.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Another red-letter day for people here who know better.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The word 'genocide' was coined for the Armenian massacres.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ha. The allegation part is what I was referencing (and posted right after the System of a Down post).

9. You sure?
    What is Genocide? The origins and naming of genocide

That's the crux of the Turk arguments.
    Everything I have read said the term wasn't coined until the Nazi atrocities.

AGAIN: I want to be clear. Crystal. Fucking. Clear. I'm NOT saying this didn't happen. It did.
    The title thread is reference to the Turks' argument that genocide didn't exist before WWII. They claim it was just a hastily thrown together effort to banish, kill, exterminate the Armenians from there lands.
    As noted, it's pretty clear the elimination of the Armenian people from the earth was the goal. The word to describe it is just semantics.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Third graf of the NYT link in the OP:

The man who invented the word “genocide”— Raphael Lemkin, a lawyer of Polish-Jewish origin — was moved to investigate the attempt to eliminate an entire people by accounts of the massacres of Armenians. He did not, however, coin the word until 1943, applying it to Nazi Germany and the Jews in a book published a year later, “Axis Rule in Occupied Europe.”

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with this.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Coming next week, we'll discuss the Holodomor, another 7 million deaths that 0.00004% of Americans know anything about.

Draft saved Draft deleted