1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-white basketball league. No. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sneed, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine once referred in print to William and Mary as Curtis and the Caucasians.

Curtis Pride, future major league baseball player (and hearing impaired), was the only black player on the team.

Yes, clean up of the mess on this aisle was indeed difficult because some people haven't learned to lay off the quote function when there's a questionable post. This one walks a very fine line that some folks just don't seem to be able to navigate. Please try harder. And use your heads.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Your starting point guard for the Alabama Albinos!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Moddy, I seem to recall another African American on that William and Mary team with Pride.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

"We Got Next."

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure during Pride's time there he played with other black players. One of his years, he was the lone black player.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Several. As in, there must be 20 or 30.
    I've noticed an increase in the past few years, but it's rarely more than one or two per team.
    But to be fair, at many public schools there are often no white kids on the team.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and at center

[​IMG]

edit: damn you, trey beamon

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

T-Mac baptized Shawn Bradley on that play.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kentucky Curbstompers
    Salt Lake Salteens
    Oregon Fighting Caucasians

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

He was an outstanding athlete. Again, I think the year you are talking about, another African American was sidelined with an injury.
    For those who don't know, Pride was a 10th-round free agent amateur-draft pick by the National League's New York Mets out of high school. He wanted to play pro baseball, but he also wanted to use his basketball scholarship at William and Mary. He worked out an unusual deal whereby he played baseball during the summers. Each fall, the Mets would release him, and he would attend college until the following summer. The cycle repeated itself for four years.
    An NCAA ruling made it possible for him to remain an amateur in all sports except baseball. As a result he was a resounding success in basketball being a varsity starter for all four years.
    In 93 he finally made it to the show as a late-season call-up with the Montreal Expos.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

The Wisconsin Badgers. OK not fair...there are actually a couple brothers playing this year, but none of them can jump.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

And considering that many white Mississippians attend those private schools, there's no wonder why many public schools don't have any white kids on the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted