1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Volunteer Publication Looking For Contributing Writers

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by SportsPageMike, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Corrected.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's some fucking solid work, dude. Pretty fuckin perfect.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

So you've got that going for you, which is nice.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This sealed it. Well-played.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Instead of the real job ads that say what pro or big-time college team you could cover, I think SPM needs to highlight its roller derby section.

If you look at the blog section, you can tell by the pics of the writers that they are never-were been's. Sad, but true if they are writing just for kicks and giggles.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Writing for kicks and giggles isn't a bad thing. I've got a friend who was in radio for two years and did a side-gig blogging for free on one of these types of sites, later put it on a resume and got a SE job in Conn., but it's only cool if you're doing is as a side hobby or for fun. If you go into it thinking it will get you into SI, you're an idiot.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hey, but those 130 work hard, too.

Maybe. Sort of. At the buffet line.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So based on a blog, you're friend made the jump to print. I don't think any of these sites that don't pay should get credentials at all. If you don't want to try to be professional, why should teams treat you like you are.

Maybe if I signed up, I'll get that big SE job at big metro I've been eyeing. Anything to put me over the top.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

He/she MUST work at a JRC paper.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm locking this because there's not much more to say.

We're not going to censor these kinds of opportunities, but "write for free here!" sites may want to take note -- this is a professional site and a lot of professionals tend to appreciate getting paid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.