1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

all-time web gems

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Whoever it was, it definitely wasn't Nixon. Just going off my own shaky memory, I seem to recall that he rarely, rarely slid into first base (and he certainly did not do that at any point to end the '92 Series. Only other bunt attempt he got down was in the 3rd inning of Game 1, and he didn't slide on that one, either.)

His drag bunts were very similar to the one against Timlin, right up the first base line and outracing the pitcher and/or first baseman to the bag. That one was just hit too close to Timlin, but it was still a good attempt.

You'll have to provide a few more details if you want the answer to your question, though.

2. I remember Andruw Jones made a catch a couple of years that was a combo of the Willie Mays/Edmonds catch in witch he jump into the padding of the wall at Turner Field. That was pretty damn impressive.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Unless another bullshit list is in the works, I'm wondering how not even one throw cracked the top 10.

I'd like to think Jesse Barfield, Roberto Clemente, Bo Jackson, etc. could trump the stuff (Rowand, Lofton catches especially) ESPN chose to tout.

4. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Yes, as a matter of fact. Being that it happened about more than 40 years ago -- I'm betting '64 or '65 -- I may be wrong about this, but wasn't it future Sox manager Dick Williams that Cleveland's Luplow robbed of a game-winning 3-run homer?
    ???

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're full of shit.

6. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Why yes, I am.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Man, nice to know that someone other than me remembers Al Luplow, and his great catch.

From Baseball library.com:
    "June 27, 1963: A meager crowd of 6,497 fans at Fenway see one of park's great catches. Cleveland OF Al Luplow races full tilt for Dick Williams's drive to right-CF, reaches over the fence, and gloves the ball while flipping over the barrier into the bullpen. Cleveland wins, 6–4."

Ron Swoboda's diving grab in the '69 series might be even better than Agee's catch, because Swoboda was a terrible outfielder with absolutely no range.

Roger Maris fielding Willie Mays' double in the right-field corner in the ninth inning of the seventh game of the 1962 series to keep Matty Alou from scoring from first with two outs to tie the game was a classic, too, in a different way.

ESPN doesn't realize there was life on the planet before it existed.

8. Rambler

Rambler Member

The best catch during that no-hitter was Jim Paciorek (Tom's brother) in leftfield earlier in the game. Yount's catch got a lot of pub because it ended it.

Draft saved Draft deleted