1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

all-time web gems

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tommie Agee, Mets, 1969 WS.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Lil' Sarge catch no doubt was one of the greatest catches of all time, but Willie Mays' 54 catch, given the circumstances, was a much better play.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ichiro's throw to gun down Terrence Long at 3B in '01 stunned me, when it happened, more than any throw I've ever seen at the time I first saw it. It's not an all-timer, but it deserves mention on this thread.

And there is nothing that compares to Edmonds' diving catch in Kansas City. I still don't know how he did it.

[​IMG]

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Willie Mays' catch from '54 happens twice a month now. It was the World Series, but still.

One of the best plays in recent memory was five or 10 years ago when Omar Vizquel went damn well near the warning track at the Trop to catch one of those "rattle around the rafters" balls.

Best part was the analyst guy on TV: "Boy, that Vizquel has <i>some</i> range."

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Since you've exposed yourself as a bit slow, I'll help you out.

Check the distance to straightaway centerfield at the Polo Grounds.

Then tell me again how that play happens twice a month now.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

What, you don't see guys making over-the-shoulder-catches 430 feet away from home plate, then spin and throw to make sure the runners don't take off, at least twice a month?

The Jeter play -- overrated.

The Yount play -- not that great. Even he admits he really didn't need to dive.

Somebody -- Rusty Greer? -- made a better catch than Yount's to save Kenny Rogers' no-hitter.

The Ozzie play with the Padres probably belongs.

I'd love to see the Nettles plays again -- haven't seen them in a long time.

And the Edmonds catch is phenomenal.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

It didn't, neither did Wright's from last year.
    And agreed on the Jeter play, overrated.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

If I have to pick a Jeter play, I'd go with the flip to home plate against the A's in the playoffs. No, it's certainly not your diving, leaping flashy play, but it was one of the smartest I've ever seen. Most guys wouldn't have had the presence of mind to chase down such a god-awful throw and then toss to home to nab a runner.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The play that definitely didn't belong was the (NL player?) who busted his face running into the oufield fence while catching a ball this year. Top 10 of all time, my ass. Too many of the "rob one from over the fence" plays were used. Probably 2 too many, al though Mathews' from this summer may be the best of them.
    I've seen so many spectacular SS plays over the past decade - not enough included.

The Buck Martinez play, where he broke his leg on a collision at the plate, then tagged out another guy with a broken leg, was very very cool.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mays' catch was a bit more than 430 feet, guys. Take a look at how far it was to the clubhouse steps. Tell me THAT happens twice a month. :D

[​IMG]

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That play ended Buck's career. Gorman Thomas was the guy he tagged out. Thomas, who played with Martinez in Milwaukee, said after that he knew Buck was hurt and there was no way he was going to slide or crash into him to make it worse. Classy move.

The mention of Vizquel's play in TB reminds me that John McDonald made a similar play for the Jays there this year as he raced from his spot at second to grab a ball the shortstop lost in the rafters.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'm glad the Kevin Mitchell catch missed out. If he doesn't overrun the ball in the first place, it's a garden variety running catch.

Draft saved Draft deleted