1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

all-time web gems

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Whoever made the out to end the WS when Nixon attempted to bunt and slide his way into first is more deserving of a web gem. Anyone with a better memory feel free to fill in the details.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't know if you're talking about '92 or not. Nixon ended it with a bunt attempt in the 11th, but he didn't slide.

Anyhow, if you are talking about '92, Mike Timlin was the guy that fielded Nixon's bunt. There were two outs, Smoltz was on third as a pinch runner, the Jays were up a run. Nixon tried to drag it but didn't get it close enough to the line. Timlin scooped it up and threw to Joe Carter, beating Nixon by about a half-step. It was a nice play by Timlin, especially to not hit Nixon with the lob to first, but not necessarily eye-popping.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I think the term "web gem" should be banished from the public's consciousness.

4. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Did David Wright's barehanded catch with his back to the plate make it?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Did Bo Jackson gunning down Harold Reynolds make it? Anyone can make an over-the-shoulder, diving catch, but how many players can throw out a runner at home from the warning track? If I remember correctly, no hop on the throw.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Glad someone on that spoke up for that injustice. Buster knows what he's talking about.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember Robinson and Nettles. That wasn't a case of one great play, that was a situation where they made several outstanding plays. It really should be divided between infield plays and outfield plays.

Neither Robinson nor Nettles made as good a play as Jeter did against the Red Sox when he dove into the stands.

Gary Mathews Jr. making the catch earlier this year deserves a Top 10 spot.

The best play I ever saw by an outfielder was Dave Winfield running up on the padded left field wall in Yankee Stadium and taking a home run away from Doug DeCinces. It didn't matter in the scheme of things because the Yankees were losing 6-1 at the time and I think they lost the game 6-2. That was incredible.

I have talked to people who said the Mays catch in the 1954 World Series wasn't even the best play Mays ever made. You can't appreciate the catch on film without knowing the dimensions of the Polo Grounds. People have told me about a catch Mays made in Pittsburgh during the 50s where Mays went a long way in Forbes Field and caught the ball under a light tower, which were in the playing field. It was a muddy field and the game was rained out, so it wasn't even an official play.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

jesus... the most overrated play of all time

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No mention of Robin Yount's diving catch of an Eddie Murray liner to finish off Juan Nieves' no-hitter? :mad:

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

After bashing the list, Buster dutifully reported to the next room where he played pretend-presser with fantasy GM Steve Phillips.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't know if Bo's throw made it or not, but it's great to hear Reynolds talk about that play.

Anybody know if Kevin Mitchell's barehanded grab in foul territory made it?

And say what you will about not digging into the archives, but Gary Mathews' catch at the wall this year belonged somewhere on some all-time top 10 list.

Draft saved Draft deleted