1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-time favorite athlete whose career was cut short?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 4, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My choice is Gale Sayers (I'm that old).

Bo Jackson was an amazing athlete and I loved watching him do amazing things but I never really saw him as say, Terrell Davis or Rickey Henderson, someone who was dominant then had his career cut short. He was pretty good, but not great, in either sport. Put together, yeah, he was a great athlete.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Cam Neely.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Mark Prior. So much pain there as a Cubs fan, but damn was he fun to watch, along with Kerry Wood, when he was on. In comeback mode now, would be nice to see him get it back on track and carve out something of a career, even if it is middle relief.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bobby Orr.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Stephen Strasburg.

Too soon?

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Agree on Donny Baseball

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

What about Roberto Clemente?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have to disagree qt. Had Bo devoted himself full-time to football, he'd have been an inner-circle Hall of Famer, with the likes of Dickerson, Simpson and Sanders.

Had he stuck to just baseball (or if he'd never hurt his hip), he could have been a perennial All-Star, if not a Hall of Famer ... at worst something along the lines of a Jayson Werth or Jermaine Dye. He was Carl Crawford with a better arm and much more power (if not as much plate discipline).

Clemente was basically done as a player when he died. He was 38 and had played 18 years in the majors. He was a much bigger loss as a citizen (he might have one day been president of Puerto Rico) than he was as an athlete.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He formed the greatest backfield in NFL history with Marcus Allen. He had three runs of 88 yards or greater in his short career and averaged 5.4 YPC.

He was the real deal.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is someone calling Bo Jackson "pretty good, but not great"? If so, that's the first time I've ever heard of anyone say that. Congrats, whoever you are!

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Normand Leveille
    Travis Roy
    Tony Conigliaro
    Bobby Orr
    Mark Bavaro

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ronald Reagan in 'Knute Rockne, All-American.'

Draft saved Draft deleted