1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-time favorite athlete whose career was cut short?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Bobby Orr.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Roy Hobbs.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Bobby Orr

4. Does Sayers count? He is in the Hall of Fame...

Unrelated to this ... I head him on a KU football broadcast last year and he came off as a fellow who was supremely confident in his athletic abilites.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bo Jackson
    Len Bias
    JR Richard
    Mark Fidrych

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Me. And then when I turned 12 in Little League, some asshole had invented the curveball ...

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bo knows Diddly

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gooden pitched 16 years in the majors. I don't see how you could say his career was "cut short." He certainly wasn't as good as he could have been, but his career lasted quite a while.

And I also bristle every time I hear that Gooden's drug problems derailed his career; that his downfall was all his own fault. Doing cocaine certainly didn't help, but the fact he threw 1,300-plus big-league innings by age 23 and blew his shoulder out in 1989 had a lot more to do with it than that drugs did.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Phidippides.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Don Mattingly.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was the second name that came to mind. Terrell Davis was another one as well.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jean "Rosie" LaRose, Montreal Canadiens rookie of the year

"That was a great hat trick you had against Czechoslovakia. Sorry about that nervous breakdown. I guess it kinda ruined your career."

Draft saved Draft deleted