1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All these deaths - my mind is whirling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to Hell, I know it. I feel guilty and need to vent. All y'all can bill me for therapy.

I got to the stadium and immediately received a text from Sonner about Harry Kalas' death - not long before and at the stadium, or so I'm told.
    Not long thereafter, I got one from a friend who told me about Kalas and Marilyn Chambers. They come in three, he says, who is next?

Me, I quipped, if the Nats keep this up.

Then came his text messages about Snyder and Fidrych.

I get spooked by deaths in bunches and I suspect that's normal and rational, right? Sometime tell me I'm right. Someone talk me off the ledge.

The only good thing in all this is the 0-7 thing really ain't that big a deal.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heck, these days it's almost good news to have four newsworthy deaths that aren't from shootings. So there's that.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Maybe this long view will help.

More than 153,000 people die every day. Sometimes the number that hits close to home is more than others.

It's the circle of life, and if days like these help remind us to make the most of the time we have, maybe something good comes of it.

Hope that helps, Moddy...

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Actually, I sent you the text message wondering if the Nats found a hat big enough to fit your large dome. :)

Hope that at least makes you smile.

And yes, you are right.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't you also send the Kalas text?
    Yes, they did. Two, in fact (my son gave me his)

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I honestly can't think of any day that more sports figures died on the same day (and any celebrities since Jim Henson and Sammy Davis, Jr. died on the same day.)

7. JackReacher

Nah. Just the hat text. I declined to respond after your "Eat me" comment. :)

During batting practice, I heard a DC firefighter talking to someone on the phone about a broadcaster being taken to the hospital. I had no clue what happened until they did the moment of silence.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I thought John Ritter and Johnny Cash died on the same day, but I see it was a day apart.

9. JackReacher

I'm not sure what planet I was on yesterday....I didn't know about any of those three deaths (Kalas, The Bird and Chambers) until way after the fact.

Must have been those freaking $7.50 beers at the park.

Regardless, a tragic day indeed. We could do without those for a while.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was at the park (downstairs) while it was all happening and I didn't know about Kalas' death until after the Phillies held a team meeting about it. Strange day. Team was supposed to go to the White House today but the visit was called off.

Draft saved Draft deleted