1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All The President's Men alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Nov 2, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The best line was his last one: "You guys fuck up again and I'm gonna get mad."

2. Scouter

Scouter Member

C'mon, Hondo. You've got to include the whole spiel.

"You know the results of the latest Gallup Poll? Half the country never even heard of the word Watergate. Nobody gives a shit. You guys are probably pretty tired, right? Well, you should be. Go on home, get a nice hot bath. Rest up... 15 minutes. Then get your asses back in gear. We're under a lot of pressure, you know, and you put us there. Nothing's riding on this except the, uh, first amendment to the Constitution, freedom of the press, and maybe the future of the country. Not that any of that matters, but if you guys fuck up again, I'm going to get mad. Goodnight."

3. I count about 37 things in this movie that wouldn't fly in today's world of journalism. Sad.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That whole movie is fascinating. Checking every name on a list, knocking on doors. It was just wanting the story bad.

I loved when Robards takes to calling them Woodstein. Awesome

5. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

was flipping through the channels last night and stopped on this...even had Mrs Cubman asking me questions about Watergate and why those guys were doing what they were doing.

I told her the film should be required viewing for persons interested in investigative journalism...and the book should be required reading for everybody.

I never get sick of watching that movie

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's not only required viewing, it's the bullet-by-bullet playbook. Again, simply fascinating.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, using a typewriter wouldn't be too practical. How else would they be able to put their stories on the Web for free?

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As a civilian, let me ask ... How many of you became journalists because of this movie?

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It sure didn't hurt. I saw it during grad school and got jacked up even further.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I remember seeing an interview with Woodward a couple of years ago -- probably around the time Deep Throat was unveiled -- and he wondered how difficult it would be to cover that story today. He and Bernstein had time -- days and weeks -- to flesh out details and actually do some old-fashioned gumshoe reporting. Nowadays, he said, there are editors calling and saying, can we get that on the web by noon?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I enrolled in the school of journalism at the college I attended in 1972, there were 40 in that major. Then, the Watergate scandal was reported. By the start of school in 1973, there were 240 in the school of journalism.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a nondenial denial.

Draft saved Draft deleted