1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All The President's Men alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Nov 2, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Starting right now on Turner Classic Movies. (I believe with commentary from John Dean.)

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Love it. They broke every rule in the book, but I love it.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Rat fucking.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

"take off the word "tits" and run it."

i love this movie. thanks for the alert, TG.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This is a family newspaper.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I could have sworn I read in the Vegas paper that John Dean was doing commentary.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"Woodward! Bernstein! The story's yours. Don't fuck it up!"

Damn, I want to work for that guy.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Robards has all the great lines:

"He really said that about Mrs. Graham?"

"Try selling (yesterday's weather report) to the San Francisco Chronicle, they need it."

9. Scouter

Scouter Member

I fucking love this movie.

"That's a bullshit question. That's a question straight out of Wichita, Kansas."

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ken Clawson: Please, listen, now, if you're going to refer to that alleged conversation with Sally Aiken, you can't print that it took place in her apartment. I have a wife and a family and a dog and a cat.
    Ben Bradlee: A wife and a family and a dog and a cat. Right, Ken, right, yeah. Uh, Ken, I don't want to print that you were in Sally's apartment...
    Ken Clawson: Thank God.
    Ben Bradlee: I just want to know what you said, in Sally's apartment.
    AND THIS:
    Scott, Foreign Editor: It's a dangerous story for this paper.
    Ben Bradlee: How dangerous?
    Scott, Foreign Editor: Well, it's not that we're using nameless sources that bothers me. Or that everything we print, the White House denies. Or that no other papers are reprinting our stuff.
    Howard Simons: What then?
    Scott, Foreign Editor: Look, there are two thousand reporters in this town, are there five on Watergate? When did the Washington Post suddenly get the monopoly on wisdom? Why would the republicans do it? McGovern's self-destructed just like Humphries, Muskie, the bunch of them. I don't believe this story. It doesn't make sense.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My favorite quote is between this one:

Carl Bernstein: Boy, that woman was paranoid! At one point I - I suddenly wondered how high up this thing goes, and her paranoia finally got to me, and I thought what we had was so hot that any minute CBS or NBC were going to come in through the windows and take the story away.
    Bob Woodward: You're both paranoid. She's afraid of John Mitchell, and you're afraid of Walter Cronkite.

Ben Bradlee: Now hold it, hold it. We're about to accuse Haldeman, who only happens to be the second most important man in this country, of conducting a criminal conspiracy from inside the White House. It would be nice if we were right.

And I agree with everyone, Robards had the best lines. There's a reason why he got an Oscar out of that performance.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Deep Throat: "Follow the money."

Draft saved Draft deleted