1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN" ALERT!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SCEditor, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Franklin

Franklin Member

i watched it the other nite and the monologue was in there. i also love the scene where robards is talking to ken clawson with his feet up on his desk: "i don't want to print that you were in sally's apartment. i just want to know what you said.... in sally's apartment." and he's got that shit-eating grin on his face. that role is one of the best supporting roles in hollywood history. whenever he's on screen, he's stealing the scene.

2. Why should we listen to you? You were Donald Segretti in this movie, for god's sake.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

You shouldn't listen. I was wrong; Robards won for Julia the next year.

You want some coffee, Fenian? Rat fucking, you wanted to talk about?

4. kbb

kbb Member

I watched it the other night ... again. The whole Watergate situation helped point me in the general direction of journalism.

And now, the movie and the book remind me why I still want to be in this business. They kind of re-charge my batteries. And now I'm tempted to go grab Ben Bradlee's autobiography off my bookshelf and re-read the chapters on Watergate.

5. That is a great smarmy moment.
    "You want some coffee, Carl?"

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Robards is awesome in everything.

My favorite Robards role: Al Capone, St. Valentine's Day Massacre, 1967. ... (Actually, it's the narrator who i can't out of my head: "At 6:57 on the last morning of his life ...")

Honorable mentions: Tora! Tora! Tora!, Crimson Tide.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What, no love for "Max Dugan Returns" or "The Day After"?

8. How about The Paper?
    "I'd love it if you weren't here now."

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

It's a useful exercise to read the chapter on All the President's Men in William Goldman's "Adventures in the Screen Trade." Apart from some good scuttle about Bernstein especially, Goldman goes into the difficulties of adapting a book like that for the screen -- what you leave in, what you leave out. Pretty interesting stuff.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

What about that Corey Feldman/Corey Haim classic, "Dream a Little Dream"?

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

"When is someone going to go on the record on this goddamn story!"

12. Run that baby.

Draft saved Draft deleted