1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN" ALERT!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SCEditor, Jan 25, 2007.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I actually was strolling through Blockbuster last week, saw the movie and rented it again just for the heck of it.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

just curious: how many of you were, like me, largely inspired to get into this biz by watergate and this book/movie? ??? ??? ???

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Honestly, I wasn't. I'm 24 and that was well before my time. But, I did actually watch the movie and years later, while wandering around one of those big book fairs, buy the book just to read it word for word. I've probably seen the movie 3-4 times now.

4. Fuck it, let's stand by the boys.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

DAMN, I got on a phone call and missed the end! What happens??

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I love the way they end it with the wire ticker finishing the story. Brilliant.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To answer shockey, I wasn't, either. I was in this business for two years before I saw the film for the first time. (I'm 24, also.)

But I can't get enough of it. :D

(And it finally started on AMC four minutes ago. Left Coast Bias here.)

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

on AMC now, about halfway in. i always have to stop clicking. 8) 8) 8)

9. You filthy ratfucker.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Same. Never get tired of this movie.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not really. But my high school gave "book prizes" to the top student in each discipline. As a junior in 1976 I won the journalism prize and the prize was Woodward and Bernstein's "The Final Days," with a sticker pasted in that the prize goes to me for journalism. I still have the book.

A lot of things combined to bring me into the business. There was no one factor. Saw the movie when it came out, have a copy on video. Mostly I wandered into journalism as a result of positive feedback from teachers and peers on stuff I wrote in English and history classes.

I was a high school freshman in 1973-74 and we had a required course in current events. We had to read The New York Times every day and discuss. Junior year in U.S. history we had to pick a current, ongoing topic and clip the NYT every day. I chose the NYC financial crisis (the one in which the NY Daily News would headline, FORD TO CITY: DROP DEAD), which resulted in an avalanche of clippings. So my high school was very newspaper-centric and still is; every student is given the NYT every day.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First, I have to admit, this played a small part in the career direction I took.

But I have to ask if anybody has ever noticed how some cable versions of this movie SEVERELY screw up the ending. They cut the dialogue at the end, although I'm trying to remember where exactly:

"You know the results of the latest Gallup Poll? Half the country never even heard of the word Watergate. Nobody gives a shit. You guys are probably pretty tired, right? Well, you should be. Go on home, get a nice hot bath. Rest up... 15 minutes. Then get your asses back in gear. We're under a lot of pressure, you know, and you put us there. Nothing's riding on this except the, uh, first amendment to the Constitution, freedom of the press, and maybe the future of the country. Not that any of that matters, but if you guys fuck up again, I'm going to get mad. Goodnight."

I think they cut it after "Rest up ... 15 minutes." One of those edited for time deals.

I know I've seen that version without anything concerning "nothing's riding on this," and certainly "if you guys fuck up again, I'm going to get mad."

Kills me every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted