1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All the Catholics out there say, "Ho!": A Communion etiquette question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Dedo

Dedo Member

Boom,

My dad told me as a kid that if I could stand still through the entire reading of the Passion -- without moving my feet or even shifting my weight -- I could get a soul out of purgatory. I always took it as a challenge, and made it every time. It's been a while since I've been in attendance for a Passion reading, but I'd like to think I can still pull it off.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did we retell that one in person? I honestly can't remember.

And Doc: Blow it out your ass. :)

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

My communion/lord's supper experience:

United Methodist (where I reconnected with God six years ago): Depends on the church. Almost always go up front, either to take while standing with a server or while kneeling at the rail. Body can either be bread or a wafer, you then dip in grape juice. Communion is open ... believe and receive. Very much a family-type occasion.

PCA (A southern, conservative branch of Presbyterianism, a church that I currently attend): Wafer and wine in the pew, served separately. Fairly regemented. Technically open, but highly discouraged if your faith isn't strong.

Southern Baptist (seen only once): Bread or wafer and juice in the pew, served separately. Not served often. Must be a member.

Episcopal (seen only once, at a funeral): Similar to Catholic, but not quite as regemented. Open communion, but I did not partake.

Catholic: I've been to a couple of masses, including my grandmother's funeral several years back, but I always have struggled to follow along. I know well enough not to take communion--learned that one very early on, having grown up in a community that's heavily Catholic.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think so. But I know you've told it here before, too.

The point is, tell some new fucking stories. :D

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did I ever tell you about the time I climaxed quickly?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Your wife might have mentioned it ... in passing.

7. Unless you're married (a whole 'nother story), what kind of GOD DAMN PUSSY gets dragged to mass/church/service/root canal by your significant other? I can hear it now: [tomleykis]because we're in LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!![/leykis]

You don't like the fact I don't want to accompany your hypocritical, "cafeteria catholic" (a way for hypocritical women to absolve themselves of all guilt for not following any of the church's orders) ass to 9 a.m. mass after a long night of binge drinking and rough, pre-marital sex with contraception with your pro-abortion, anti-sacrament, non-regular attending ass? Fine, go fuck yourself. There's another vagina, and a less hypocritical one, coming along in 10 minutes. Don't wait up.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's a great story. I always get my energy to stand through The Passion by looking at the big man up on the cross. I figure with what he endured for me that I can stand for 20 minutes and here his story.

Back in the day I approached The Passion as I would approach agility drills or up downs. The parts where you had to kneel I would try to be the first in the church to pop back up. You should try it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. How long did it take?

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Some bunny's here to make friends.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I blame the singing nun.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Chicago-area Catholic churches are barely one step away from conducting the mass in Latin, they're so conservative. For a while, when we lived in Indianapolis, my wife (the Catholic of the family) and I went to a church by Butler that was so liberal, the priest surmised that the resurrection probably never really happened. This same church also had, for a crucifix, a huge plastic circle with a cross cut into it, off-center, 70s-style.

In Chicago, where we got married, the priest asked me I was presenting a fake baptismal certificate, it showed I was baptized at age 4. I was baptized Catholic only so I would be eligible to go Catholic school if necessary.

By the way, I was baptized Catholic, and confirmed Episcopalian. What am I? We had the Indianapolis and Chicago archdioceses working overtime trying to figure out that thinker.

Draft saved Draft deleted