1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All the Catholics out there say, "Ho!": A Communion etiquette question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 6, 2008.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yes, I've always understood you can either go in the procession, cross your arms in front of you and receive a blessing, or stay in the pew (which plenty of people do and Catholics are encouraged to do if they're sick). Either way, no problem.

And I, for one, am not one for the physical rituals of adoration (like the holy water, or genuflecting when I enter the pew), but I always cross myself after Communion. Must be my old-school Northeastern Irish Catholic upbringing.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What does genuflect mean?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

De rodillas.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Kneel down on one knee while entering or leaving the pew, facing the cross.

KY, that old lady is crazy. It's not disrespectful. If anything, it's more respectful to stay there while the Catholics do their thing. I've done it that way hundreds of times.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You did it right. I do it after communion, but I draw the line at redwine backwash...

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I just sat there and smiled. Even when I go to another Methodist church, I hardly ever partake in the communion. It just doesn't feel right if I'm not at my church.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm kind of the same way. The grape juice just doesn't taste right at other churches.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Even Catholics aren't supposed to take communion if more than a year has passed since their last Confession.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Sounds like you should have a talk with my ex ...

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Drives my mother nuts during Christmas Mass, when I'm home, but I refuse to accept communion. I haven't been to Confession since I was 15.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ah say an act of contrition and you are good to go

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

St. Stanislaus, Tony?

As to genuflecting while banged up or disable, well, I get that. It doesn't excuse the 90 percent of healthy people who blew it off.

Draft saved Draft deleted