1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Super Bowls indoors?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

With the first Super Bowl affected by the weather -- and the ensuing turnovers and poor play that came with it -- should all of the big games be played indoors or should this open it up for other cities -- New York, Washington, Seattle, Denver -- to be able to host the game?

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I hate the indoor Super Bowls. I like how weather for once actually played a role. One of the things that makes the Grey Cup great is that half the time it is played in a foot of snow.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely... I would love to see a Super Bowl in Chicago or Denver or East Rutherford...

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I think every team should get to host the Super Bowl once.

On a separate note, related to the weather, did the halftime show stage, etc. ruin the playing field in anyone's opinion?

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

How many NFL teams have retractable roofs? Use those stadiums. I know Arizona has that new one, and it's state-of-the-art.

Of course, logistics surrounding the week might not allow it. But it's an idea.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I liked seeing it affected by the elements, even if it did result in a shitty game. I understand the logic for having it indoors -- after all, it makes it more of a contest between personnel and coaches rather than seeing who can handle adverse conditions better -- but it just seems better when it's outside.

And as far as having one in Chicago or East Rutherford, I think it would be great, since I feel like that's football weather, but I understand that people who go want to have a great time and have it be more like a vacation, so there's something to be said about warm-weather destinations. Fuck it. Play it in Bermuda.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why do I think that the bigger weather issue than the turnovers and poor play was the blurry camera shots on everyones' big-screen HD TV.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Indoor and rectrabable roof stadiums:

Arizona, Atlanta, Dallas (with new stadium), Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New Orleans, St. Louis.

I say rotate it everywhere for those with relatively new stadiums. I think the fact there was a downpour gives the argument to go to Seattle, Denver, Washington, etc.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think a Super Bowl at Soldier Field would be a great idea. The new refurbishment just makes it even more appealing.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Football's always been a game where weather plays a factor.

Problem is, nasty weather pisses off all the corporate types who attend the games.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a SB played in Green Bay or Buffalo. And I'd love to see all the bitching and moaning from the national media about it.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not only does Arizona have a retractable roof, it has a retractable field. They featured it on 'Extreme Engineering' on the Discovery Channel a while back. The field rolls outside so the grass can grow, then it rolls back in for the game. Pretty cool.

Back to your regularly-scheduled thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted