1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Star Rosters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Don't worry, Zeke.

We'll send them over to Wisconsin for beer and brats. ;)

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You got those numbers right, Looser Twins Girl. :D But you also have to look at stolen base attempts against Mauer and Pudge.

Pudge has caught 12 of 21 (.571) while Mauer has caught 15 of 38 (.394). Teams don't try running on Pudge.

That said, both definitely deserve to be there. As should Verlander and Liriano.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I still say that Mauer's batting average trumps Rodriguez's caught stealing percentage! :p [/pouting looser fangirl]

But yes, both do belong there and I agree with you about Verlander and Liriano as well.

Good grief, what is this world coming to?! I'm agreeing with a Detroit fan!!! :eek:

4. Hank_Scorpio

Don't forget Verlander in this ROY chase.

Right now, I give the edge to Liriano, tho.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Don't forget, Joey Sideburns has stolen seven of those bases back, compared to three for Pudge.

And I agree it should come down to Verlander. Papelbon and Liriano. The question is, are there any position players even in the running?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Just remember this. You've won what 18 of 20 and gained a half game in the standings. Take that, looser fangirl.  :D ;D

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Could care less about media scrutiny. I care more about results on the field, and in that case, Liriano trumps Papelbon. As much as I hate to say it, starter > closer every time.

I said it before and I'll say it again, BYH, I'll bet you Liriano forces voters to give him some hardware. There's no way Papelbon sweeps awards with Liriano around, he's been too good.

A 9-1 record ... a 1.99 ERA ... 94 Ks to 20 walks ... Liriano is the ROY right now.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Twins have already had their looser streak this season. The Tigers will get theirs.

Still a lot of season left, looser Tiger boy! :p ;)

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

IMO, DeJesus or Gobble would have been better picks. At least Redman has a winning record. ::)

As for the worst recent -- or ever -- All-Star, you can't go wrong with Mike Williams and his pre-break 6.29 ERA in '03.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The Royals recent hot streak has everything to do with DeJesus rounding back into form. But he was hurt for too much of the first half to be an all-star selection.

11. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

I don't claim to know that much about who deserves to be on the AL pitching staff, but Mike Mussina is fourth in the AL in strikeouts and ERA and he's 9-3. Are there really nine or 10 pitchers with better credentials than that?

Just asking.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ehh, Moose has pitched well, but he's only had a better year than Redman on that staff.

AL has some FUCKING STUDS for pitchers this year. He hasn't been better than, Santana, Liriano, Buehrle (today's lightup notwithstanding) Contreras, Rogers, Halladay, etc.

That's a tough nut to crack.

Draft saved Draft deleted