1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Star Rosters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

No, what's laughable is having to have pitchers bat in a freaking All-Star Game. Ridiculous.

It made me ill to sit there and here all those ESPN talking heads bitch about Beckett, Schilling and Randy Johnson not making it. Yeah, the Red Sox and Yankees really take it up the you-know-what when it comes to honors and attention. Spare me.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, aside from average, statswise, the two are pretty equal. Pudge also has a better percentage caught stealing.

3. Hank_Scorpio

I would say yes he should have made it. 10 wins as a rookie puts him either tied for first or second for wins in the AL.

But I'm almost glad he didn't get (as a looser Tigers fanboy). He can rest now and be ready for the second half of the season.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You mean to tell me they complained about the Unit not making it? Oh, my god...

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yup. Although I have no dealings with the organization (prep writer), I wouldn't be surprised if they forced employees to vote during work hours. Is that a common practice?

Bay went from the top-20 to a top vote-getter in a matter of weeks...hmmm. Can't complain about Freddy Sanchez, though (hitting .363, including .491 versus LHP).

6. Zeek

Zeek Member

How they pick Mark Redman over Liriano is beyond me. Grudzilanek should be KC's lone representative. 

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Liriano has been the best pitcher in the A.L. this year. Him and Papelbon will go neck and neck for ROY.

8. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

These two are in the "fans vote" for the extra roster spot. But they will not get it over Billy Wanger.

9. 85bears

85bears Member

Yep. And can you imagine the outcry from the East Coast if Liriano gets ROY over Papeljesus? They think the AL Central is a Class AAA league to begin with.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

ESPN is the northeast's sports channel...the rest of America just gets it on their cable package, kind of like WGN outside the Great Lakes region. I don't think it offers much to the rest of America outside of live event coverage, partially because they'd rather have Randy Johnson on the team than Liriano, Verlander or anyone else, really.

That said, Redman is laughable. Grudzielanek would've been a much better pick. And while Kenny Rogers is a solid pick, it's pretty bad to see a 10-win pitcher like Verlander snubbed.

I suppose fan balloting is good for attendance and interest, but it's not very good at selecting worthy starters.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No Verlander and no Liriano is fucking ridiculous.

I thought the idea was to win the game...

12. Hank_Scorpio

Verlander is in the running for the final pick voting.

What's a joke is that the White Sox got five players in the game (but no starters).

Draft saved Draft deleted