1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Star omissions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark DeCotis, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

Great show and all last night with intros of the past all-stars but where were:

Johnny Bench
    Fisk
    Sparky Anderson
    Joe Morgan
    Yaz

and how could a farewell to Yankee Stadium just mention Rizutto but not include Mantle and DiMaggio?

mark

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Mrs. Crimson, a Johnny Bench-worshipper as a youth, was similarly puzzled.

Good point on Mantle & DiMaggio.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was said that Mel Hall and Louis Polania were not there last night to say good by.

No surprise on Joe Morgan - He obviously did not want to stand next to Ryan Sandberg. The guy has become an embarrassment to the game.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My guess is it's because Rizzuto just died last year. Plus, he was a fixture at The Stadium for so many years after his playing days.

I was surprised by some of the guys who weren't there as well. I'm sure stories will surface in the coming days about guys who weren't paid enough for their time (a la Joe Montana at the Super Bowl MVPs reunion a couple of years ago).

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Is it a coincidence three living Big Red Machine HOFers weren't there? Is there animosity between them and the Yankees, perhaps? (I'm not implying any animosity, but it seems strange that all three of them weren't there.)

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Tony Perez was there though.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I didn't see much of the pregame or game, but Tony Perez was there.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Ahhh.. Thats right, I forgot him.

9. Scouter

Scouter Member

Stan Musial was not there last night. His health has diminished a lot in the last couple of years, and I think he's made only one appearance this season at Busch Stadium. Here's to hoping he makes it to the ASG next year in St. Louis. He deserves a night in the national spotlight a la Ted Williams in 1999.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

C'mon, Boom. You're better than that... :D

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sparky is getting a little older now and not quite as healthy, so that may be why he wasn't there. I think he has a bad hip or something that makes it harder to travel, especially from California.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Willie McCovey made the effort to travel - i'm sure with great difficulty

Draft saved Draft deleted