1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Star Game selections thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Plus, you know, the fact that as a Pirates fan, you may know more about the two than Pube, who may have seen each pitch once or twice this year.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What, you don't think the fact that Gorzy throws left-handed trumps that? hehe

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said. Snell been the better pitcher this season.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The mandatory-rep rule was OK when there were 12 teams per league. It doesn't work now.

The team should be selected in its entirety -- starters voted in by fans, pitchers and reserves selected by managers, a full roster of 25 players -- and then, if any team does not have a selection, THEN one player from each team should be added as a "mandatory representative."

They come to the game, put on their uniforms, smile for the cameras, come out for pregame intros.

But they don't get in the game until every other player has played.

Which might also solve the nightmare-scenarios for extra-inning games, too, since even if a game went to extra innings, each team would probably have 3-4 guys left on the bench.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

OK...OK.

I am obviously wrong.

Right-handed hitters DON'T have significantly better offensive numbers across the board against lefties than they do against righties.....

And Righties DON'T make up 70 percent of the majors....

Phew, glad you Mensa stalwarts straightened me out.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Chris Young and Hideki Okijima win the fan vote for ther final spots... no problem with either one.

But .....

Smoltz bails out with sore shoulder is replaced by Roy Oswalt (7-5, 3.52). John Maine (10-4, 2.71 after last night's win) gets totally screwed again as reputation prevails over reality.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet Maine ends up there.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

John Maine might have been screwed there, but so was Ian Snell, who has similar numbers. But Maine pitches for the Mets, so he gets more run support and more hype than Snell does.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I wouldn't complain about Snell being there, either, Oz.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If either one make it, that would be a good call for the NL. They both deserve it.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Had they said Snell was replacing Smoltz, I'd have had no complaint ... well, less of a complaint

Draft saved Draft deleted