1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Star Game selections thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jul 1, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The problem is there are more good shortstops in the NL than there are All-Star berths. Reyes. Ramirez. Rollins. Renteria. Hardy. Every year, someone in the N.L. is going to get the shaft, just like the A.L. in the late 1990s with Jeter, ARod, Tejada and Vizquel.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True...but the wrong guy got the shaft. Hardy doesn't belong over Rollins.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's the point. Someone is going to get the shaft. Every year.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Shut your mouth...I'm only talking about Shaft!

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I like Buck, but with Pudge winning the vote to start, Victor Martinez and Jorge Posada in the two backup catcher spots became no-brainers. With the seasons they're having, they deserved it.

6. outofplace

And my point was the wrong guy got shafted.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Sorry, I didn't do an in-depth analysis of the rosters/stats when I threw out Meche's name. Anyways, if he deserves to be there, then great. But if he was to make it just because KC needed a rep (which clearly isn't the case, again sooo sorry) then I think it's stupid.

Bottom line, I think they should pick the best players and not worry about having every team represented.

8. outofplace

Boobie, I don't think Oz or anybody else was expecting you to do an in-depth analysis for a message board post. But if you're going to use an example, you might want to see if it makes sense first.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Disagree. As a 10-year-old freakishly devoted Seattle Mariners fan, I watched every All-Star game just waiting for that crappy Mariner rep to get to pinch hit or throw an inning. Every move baseball makes should be done with the young fans in mind and especially the young fans in neglected markets like KC, Pittsburgh, et al.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Manny was an odd pick, but Fuentes is a train wreck these days who won't see the field, what with the World Series home advantage at stake. I would have gone with Byrnes over Rowand for the last NL OF spot.

11. outofplace

Funny...I grew up a Pirates fan...I've seen plenty of crappy Pirate reps...never gave a damn. Earn it and then I'll care.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

OK, my point was more of using KC as a shitty team that always gets their one player in and I knew Meche made it. If I could have thought of the one player from Pittsburgh or Washington off the top of my head I would have used them instead. I now see the folly in selecting Meche, but I still don't think he'll see the mound in the game.

And again, my main point (poor example notwithstanding) is that they should do away with the rule that every team gets one rep.

Draft saved Draft deleted