1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Star Game selections thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jul 1, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Carmona? It's tough to feel too bad for a guy who stated his case for the ASG by giving up 8 ER in 1 IP in his last start before the break.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree totally. No way Sanchez ought to be the Bucs' rep.

At least they got Meche right for the Royals.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mustrad, what are Rollins' "overwhelming" advantages other than HRs (playing in a bandbox) and RBI?

40 SB to 15; .034 BA edge; +24 walks; +.71 OBP.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

spnited, I would blame Mets fans voting in Reyes, Wright and Beltran for Maine not being there.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The ones I posted. I'm not going to bust out my abacus, but doesn't Rollins have 25% more 2Bs, 25% more 3Bs, 250% more HRs, about 45% more RBIs and about 20% more runs?

I'd be more apt to give more weight to Reyes' SBs and whatnot if he were actually scored more runs than Rollins. Reyes does, after all, have two All-Star starters hitting behind him, right?

Look, it's close. I won't deny that. Just as it is with Hamels and Maine.

I don't see how you can argue that Maine should have been chosen over Hamels (where the stats are also very close) and also insist that Reyes should be the starting SS.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

But why shouldn't the best team in the league get 3 starters and a pitcher?

And Mustard, the difference in Rollins' 66 runs to Reyes 56 are Rollins' home runs. That also accounts for 10 or Rollins' 15 RBI edge. And your percentages are bullshit when you're talking 10 triples to, 8, 20 doubles to 16 ... I didn't say Reyes has 167% more stolen bases, I used real numbers.
    And there's nothing like a leadoff hitter with A .328 OBP ::)
    And doesnlt Rollins have Utley and the reigning MVP hitting behind him?

Simple fact is Reyes is a better all-around player than Roillins.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Rollins is not a true lead-off hitter and we know that in Philadelphia. Reyes is a true lead-off hitter who gets on base anyway he can and then steals to put himself in a good position. Rollins would be putting up far better numbers if he was moved down in the line-up, probably more HRs and RBIs, but less runs. Don't short change the Mets' line-up either Spnited. Reyes has Lo Duca, Beltran, Delgado, Wright hitting behind him.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not short-changing the Mets lineup at all Mayfly.
    I'm saying Jose Reyes is the best shortstop in the National League.

END. OF. DISCUSSION.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Because none of them deserve to start?

And I'm not sure how you can hold where Rollins is hitting in the lineup against him.

Also, the reigning MVP was horrible for the first two months and spent time on the DL. He's not an All-Star this year, and he shouldn't be. See how easy it is to admit one of your favorite players doesn't deserve to start/be in the All-Star Game?

I posted the "real numbers" in my first post. And, as I said, if Reyes' BBs and SBs were actually leading to runs, I'd be inclined to give them more weight. After all, he's got those All-Stars hitting behind him.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Apparently you missed what I was saying, Mustard!

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And I'm saying Reyes ISN'T the best shortstop in the NL.

Oops, guess I missed the END. OF. DISCUSSION. call.

Maybe it should just be the Red Sox/Yankees against the Mets. Let everyone else play a JV game the day before.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'll join you in the asshole category, if you don't mind FJ. Is it us or is it apparent that the biggest hypocrites outside of MLB are the fans? (Bonds voted in by the fans, not that I have a big problem with that, and A-Rod being the biggest vote-getter overall and he's the most hated man in NYC. More hated than David Dinkins, Mike Milbury, the Sawx and Marlins combined.)

I found it amusing to watch Kruk and Eric Young take down Steve Phillips on the Reyes/Rollins debate just now on BBTN. Phillips continues to be exposed for the GM fraud he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted