1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Star Fanfest, should I go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jul 9, 2010.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide if I should go to the Fanfest Saturday in Anaheim.

Who has been to one? Is it worth $30 and a 90-minute drive each way.

I hear it's crowded and hard to get around. But it sounds like there's going to be some really cool stuff. I'm not much into autographs, but the interactive activities and memorabilia sounds cool.

I want to bring my 12-year-old son, but know he'd be bored as I spend an hour looking at old World Series programs.

Is it worth going to?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I was wondering about this too. I have no kids with me. Is it kid-friendly or can 20-somethings enjoy it too?

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Do you like malls?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Do you like apples?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's probably worth it if you haven't been to one before. There are a few nice exhibits typically. If you're a collector, it's probably paradise.

Me? I'm a block away right now and I have no intention of going anywhere near it. Hell, I won't even like walking through my hotel lobby with the Disneyland/All-Star Game crowd this weekend.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Fan Fest is a mall. It's a little bit of history, a little bit of inter-activity and tons of stuff to sell you. Fan Fest is designed to melt credit cards.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do it for the kid. He'll remember it for life.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've gotten Facebook updates from SoCal friends who say, yes, it's cool. When's the All-Star Game going to be back there? 2020 at McCourt Place? Go. I've only heard good things.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I went to the one in Milwaukee ... definitely worth going just to step in the batting cage against a 90mph fastball. Like others have said, when's the next time you'll get the chance to visit this?

10. I went to the NHL All-Star Game fan fest the day before the game was in Tampa more than 10 years ago and it's still one of my favorite hockey memories.

I played goalie in this little batting cage thing where Gretzky and Messier took shots on you and foam pucks came flying out of little slats in the screen. The guy running the booth said that thing had been set up all week and I was the only person to stop every shot. If only Gretzky and Messier really shot foam pucks, I could have had a future.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know you are old when it doesn't seem that long ago that the game was played in a particular city. Bo 'freakin' Jackson!

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Decided to go on Sunday and had a great time.

Found tickets on craigslist for $7, making it even better.

My son loved it too and there was much more that interested both of us than I expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted