1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Sports awards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CoreyDavis, Jun 15, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I e-mail our local ADs and coaches in early May and take nominations, then subjectively decide our winners from that.

Just noticed you're looking at a team award :)
    I've considered doing that, just haven't put the effort into making a formula...good idea, make your criteria and go for it.

2. CoreyDavis

CoreyDavis New Member

Yeah coming up with a criteria for the big sports was easy based on how far they advanced in the playoffs but for individual sports its not so cut and dry.

How do i come up with a formula for track, swimming, wrestling, cross country, tennis, weightlifting ?

Thank goodness my area doesnt have B/G lacrosse, B/G water polo, boys volleyball, flag football like several of the schools down in Central and South Florida.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In my area, this would be next-to-impossible to do. In suburbia, the gods of specialization and travel sports have all but killed the 3-sport athlete -- ESPECIALLY in girls sports.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A writer of ours -- who, I think, occasionally posts here -- tried this idea a few years ago. I forget what the criteria was, but the school that won it wanted an actual trophy for the "award." There was no trophy. It was just something we ran -- once, and only once -- in the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted