1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Seinfeld, all the time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3320825/

[​IMG]

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

We'll see. Arrested Development is about to get another at bat. I'm not thrilled about what I've been hearing, but I'm open to the possibility that 12 episodes and a movie push it over the top of both Seinfeld and The Simpsons, despite its shorter run. It's Ted Williams basically, robbed of its prime.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's really hard to know where Arrested Development was going. The third season was a mess, but it also was hilarious. Of course it was built on the premise of the show ending, so who knows where they would have gone otherwise. The first season spent a lot of time developing the characters and wasn't that funny, though I know we agree that most comedies struggle in the first season. The second season was brilliant. That's probably more along the line of what they would have done over the course of a full run.

I still think Seinfeld is funnier than anything ever, though. But I'm exceedingly neurotic.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

More like Gale Sayers.

5. Double Down

Have you watched the third season twice? Because I thought it was a mess the first time, and now I think it's fucking brilliant. Yeah, it got a little to meta at times, but that's part of its brilliance. MR F and The Ocean Walker are two of my favorite episodes of comedy. Not-A-Pussy is great. Family Ties (with Justine Bateman) is so goddamn hilarious in the way that real life Bateman brother and sister almost bone, paralleling George Michael's forbidden lust for Maeby. It even has Bob Loblaw's Law Blog. I mean, C'mon!

Barry Zuckerkorn and I object that Season 1 isn't as funny. I think it's one of the best debut seasons of any comedy ever. In Season 1, you get Key Decisions, Pier Pressure (probably the perfect AD episode), Carl Weathers' episode, Justice is Blind, Zuckercorn jumping the shark, the Hermano episode, etc.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was being harsh on Season 1. I don't think it's as funny as Seasons 2 or 3. That said, I have watched the entire series through twice, but that's pretty much it for every episode except a handful of favorites ("Hand to God" is mine).

I just watched "The Maestro" on this streaming channel early tonight, though. I've seen it at least 10 times, and I still laugh uncontrollably. Jackie Chiles is better than Barry Zuckerkorn or Bob Loblaw.

7. Double Down

You better have a spare bowl of candy beans with you if you're going to talk your eyebrows off spreading those kind of lies.

Also, randomly...

Gene Parmesean > Soup Nazi

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe you need a balm for that chaffing.

9. Double Down

Oh yeah, yeah! I'll just go ahead and rub that balm right into my $5,000 suit. C'mon!

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

What, no love for The Trip To The Hamptons? It's still my favorite. Soup Nazi and Kramer's hansom cab ride are also hilarious.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

DD, Your anti-Seinfeld slant comes through subtly (pops up on Cheers chats occasionally) but I'm not going to put stock into the Arrested > than Seinfeld argument unless you're willing to say Tiger's better than Jack (more dominant, did things not even Jack did, even if stuck on 14 majors, injuries robbing him of major opportunities).

12. Double Down

Hmmm ... seems like quite the pickle I've got myself in. In my defense, I've been on Temocil for several years, which can cause numbness to the extremities and short-term memory loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted