1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-region teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How do y'all handle the obligatory all-region/city/county/whatever teams done by your paper? Specifically, what individual awards are given?

In the past, we've done an MVP and offensive and defensive players of the year. Plus coach and, if warranted, newcomer of the year.

2. In a three-county area with seven schools for our All-Area teams.

For fall sports:
    Boys' Golf: Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Sophomore of the Year, five-member All-Area first team, five-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)
    Girls' Golf: Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Sophomore of the Year, five-member All-Area first team, five-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)
    Boys' Cross Country: Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Sophomore of the Year, five-member All-Area first team, five-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)
    Girls' Cross Country: Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Sophomore of the Year, five-member All-Area first team, five-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)
    Volleyball: Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Sophomore of the Year, six-member All-Area first team, six-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)
    Boys' Soccer: Coach of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Sophomore of the Year, 11-member All-Area first team, 11-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)
    Girls' Soccer: Coach of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Sophomore of the Year, 11-member All-Area first team, 11-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)
    Football: Coach of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Offensive Sophomore of the Year, Defensive Sophomore of the Year, Lineman of the Year, 12-member All-Area first team, 12-member All-Area second team, honorable mention (must receive at least one vote from an opposing coach)

There are four members of our sports department. We vote in football, basketball (both), baseball and softball because we attend games in those sports on a weekly basis. Don't vote in other sports, but probably should based on the way the voting turned out in nearly all of them.

We have a Fall All-Area Week during Thanksgiving week:
    Monday: Golf (Both)
    Tuesday: Volleyball
    Wednesday: Soccer (Both)
    Thanksgiving: Football (four-page color wrap with mug shots of first-teamers and posed/action shots of individual award winners; 25-inch recap story on team, 25-inch features on award winners, recap of readers' vote)
    Friday: Cross Country (both)

We try to get a posed/feature shot of the individual award winners for golf, soccer, volleyball, cross country. For soccer, we were able to get both feature shots (boys' winner and girls' winners) and interviews with all eight done in 30 minutes. Photo day was at the school with the most winners. Done this for three years now and has run smoothly all three times.

I know Sophomore of the Year seems odd, but it has been done for 20+ years with our paper. Has been suggested to change it to Newcomer of the Year/Most Improved but have not settled debate on how to decide (transfer? first-year varsity player? Didn't appear in more than half the contests the year before?)

Outside of All-State, if it is a coaches' association All-Region or All-District Team (in Kentucky, we have four districts per regions in most team sports and 16 regions in the state), we run the list in a box on the agate page. Nothing more.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Whatever you do, keep the designers in mind. :)

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

We cover 13 schools....We pick one player of the year, plus an all-area team, plus honorable mentions. Coaches of the Year all run together at the end. No other individual awards. Numbers vary dependong on sport....we picked 16 for soccer, 24 for football, etc.

5. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

We have 30 schools. We pick a player of the year in each sport -- offensive and defensive for football, but just one in all the others. Coach of the year in each sport. And then a first team and second team in each sport. It's a pain in the ass just making the picks, with a coverage area full of apathetic coaches who don't bother responding to our requests for season-ending stats or recommendations. Then there's the joy of getting photos of everyone. And I'm sure we're not alone in getting a deluge of complaints about who we picked ... yet we keep doing it. It's like masochism.

Not to thread jack, but I assume others run into this: You make your picks and start calling coaches to inform them (which we do because we need to arrange for photos) and the first thing that happens is all the coaches want to know who else got picked. If you tell them, they start arguing with you, apparently having deluded themselves into thinking that you were going to pick their entire team. And even if you don't tell them, word gets around and everyone knows who you picked long before it gets published. No way to stop that, I realize, but it's frustrating.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I have 19 schools that play football and another half-dozen small academies that play basketball and/or baseball.

I do an All-Area team for football, basketball (boys and girls) and baseball, then get the rest of the sports in a catch-all All-Stars special section in May. For the All-Areas, I do a Player of the Year, Coach of the Year, First Team, Second Team and Honorable Mentions. We do features on the Player and Coach of the Year, bio boxes with mugs for the First Team All-Areas.

I lean heavily on coaches' nominations, but I also use the judgment of staff observations and take into account who's being recruited, especially by D1 colleges.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We have nine schools in our area.
    We name an MVP and COTY for each sport and one is the Seasonal Sport MVP.
    Basically, we fill each position (after we choose the MVP), which is easy for football - we do add a utility spot and three ST spots (K, P, returner).
    It gets tricky with the other sports, where we don't fill specific positions. It'd be too hard in something like field hockey, where three left backs are great. Soccer and field hockey are pretty much GK, defense, midfield and forwards.
    Tennis is based completely on finish at the state tournament. We take six individuals.
    Cross Country is based on finish at states.
    Girls volleyball we took seven. We had no good middles this fall, so we had a setter, libero and four hitters.

We pick them based on what we see. It causes a shitstorm because in RI, divisions are broken down by school size and ability. A great D-II player isn't as good as a good D-I player most of the time, but we're trying to pick the team based on who had the best season as opposed to who was the best, because we think that's fair. Our football MVP - who is going to be our Fall MVP - is going to come pretty close to 3,000 rushing yards this season playing in the lowest division. His team is one of the smallest schools in the state (and the team itself has 23 kids) and he'll likely end up at a small D-II college, but he's not the best back but you cannot ignore the insane numbers.
    Field hockey was the toughest, because only four of our schools had teams and they were split in the two divisions - I and II. The disparity is so bad that I could have filled the team with just D-I kids. One of our D-II teams made the final, so they got two spots and the other D-II team got one. I talked it over with the D-I coaches and they were fine with the way things out.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

Yeah, we run into this all of the time. Which is why in the past I've instructed my prep guys to only tell coaches who among their players were selected. We've actually had a couple of coaches get pissed when we wouldn't tell them who was on the team.

We actually had a softball parent call all of the coaches in the area to find out who was on the team, because he figured out his daughter wasn't on the team. Then he sent a letter just ripping on us, before the team was even released — we cost her a scholarship, she wasn't going to get to go to college, etc. Of course, in the span of the next three months, his daughter got ticketed twice for public intox. I'm surprised he didn't blame us for that.

We're going to try something different for the winter season. We're not going to let anyone know until the teams are released in the paper. Just do a story on coach of the year and player of the year, with a graphic listing the first team, second team and honorable mention.

9. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

We did something a little different design-wise for our football player of the year with an infographic (http://www.daily-chronicle.com/templates/actions/picture-popup.html?caption=The%20cover%20of%20the%20Dec.%202%2c%202010%20Daily%20Chronicle%20sports%20section.%20%28Daily%20Chronicle%20staff%20-%20sports%40daily-chronicle.com%29&pic-src=/_internal/cimg!0/95r3jpi6szy3e0gm78fg76v8k0fe86v&__noframe=1), gave our designer a night to work on this and this alone. We missed out on a couple of early games for it, but I think it was more than worth it.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Rhody: No all-area cheerleading squad? [/crossthread]

We're venturing into all-county teams for the first time. We're going with one team for football (offense and defense), volleyball and boys and girls water polo and a player-of-the-year for girls tennis and girls golf.

We're omitting cross country mostly because we didn't hear from most of the coaches throughout the year, and the one we did, the strength of his team was on the JV, and we don't even want to open that can of worms. I'm also eliminating schools we didn't hear from throughout the season. Shitty reasoning, I know, but letters were sent out to coaches back at the start of the season, along with my card, explaining how to contact us and when we were in. I don't like playing bad cop, but I can only do so much.

Thoughts?

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We do. Cheerleading is in winter. We use the individual state tournament to give us the top six.
    Like I've said, it's not my favorite, but it sells papers.
    I don't know how big your area is, but take whatever the biggest XC meet is and take the top five, or whatever amount you'd like. If you only had three, then go to the next biggest meet and fill.

Draft saved Draft deleted