1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Wine Thread - anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, May 13, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Still looking for a good red in the $9-12 range. I've been drinking an Amarone sold at Trader Joe's whic costs $15 and is fantastic for the price.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Webby, darn near any cab sauv from South Australia is a decent bet for about 10 bucks a bottle. Try Little Penguin, as previously mentioned. The shiraz is pretty good, too.

If you don't mind five bucks more, the Rosemount Estate grenache shiraz is very nice.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've noticed a bit of a change with Aussie reds -- the quality of the $8-12 wine has slipped. It used to be that you could gobble up wine equivilent to a $20 Napa red for that amount. Now it seems that there is now a class of Aussie reds which is $8-12 and another which is $16-20. I need to do a bit more tasting to find the bargain.

On the higher end, opened up one of the best bottles in my collection this weekend -- a 1997 Whitehall Lane Reserve Cab. In the top 5 that I've had.

4. My wife and my sisters are big wine drinkers.
    They really like the Duplin brand wines from North Carolina.
    Good wine and a good price. Most are under $10 a bottle.
    The wine is not sold in W.Va., but it is availible on-line. W.Va is one of many states to which they ship. I have been ordering wine for my wife from them for a last few years.

If you are looing from something different, try 'em.

www.duplinwinery.com

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Are there any port/ice wine drinkers here? I've yet to acquire a taste for either ...

6. Mira

Mira Member

I'ved tried a couple of ice wines, Wollersheim in particular (out of Wisconsin), and it's not my cup of tea. Way too sweet.

Same thing with port. I can't acquire a taste for either, either.

7. Mira

Mira Member

One of my favorite reds is Dogajolo Carpineto, it's a Sangiovese and Cab blend, and I can get it at my wine store for $10. Very nice finish.

The store I buy from has a Wall of 100 with whites and reds, and all the bottles are $10 or under. Cheapest is $6.99. Pretty cool place to browse.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

True about the Aussie wines. They're quite good. Everyone has found out about the good ones and now're we're literally paying the price. Plus, I think some wineries that became popular over here, decided to make a quick cash grab and put out a sub-standard $8-12 product under the popular label (Rosemount is a good example). What we used to get for that price is now in the $15-plus range with a more premium label.

Sucks, but I can't fault them for trying to make a buck.

I'm just happy that now my baby is born, I get my wine tasting partner back -- except the wine budget is now going toward Similac (2007 is a good year according to the little one).

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Queen and I went to a wine fest today that was really nice but we noticed we're not sophisticated. Which is good. We couldn't tell the difference between the $10 wines and the $35 wines so we brought home a lot of the $10s. Plus signed up for some club that sends us two bottles a month.

As I said on the other thread, it was hot as a sumbitch. Used it as an excuse to buy a cool hat.

Ended up with a new hat, two cool tasting glasses and six bottles of cheap wine.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Reviving this from the dead:

I'm attending a wine tasting party Sunday, and I'm bringing a bottle for the host, who prefers whites.

From this thread, I'll be looking for Gumdale from Australia and Evolution No. 9. Any other suggestions.

I might also get a bottle of Woodbridge by Mondavi ... that's a red, right? No, I'm not very wine knowledgable.

$10-$15 per bottle is what I'm looking to spend.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Woodbridge comes in whites and reds.

My own personal cheaper recommendations, based on my own palette:
    Maso Canali Pinot Grigio
    Chateau Montet Bourdeaux Sauvignon
    Joseph Drouhin Laforet Chardonnay

All around $15, IIRC.

But yeah, Gumdale and Evolution would serve nicely too.

12. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

I'm a big fan of the Gnarly Head old vine zin. They've expanded and are now making a few other wines that I have yet to try, but the old vine zin is one of my favorite wines.
    http://www.gnarlyhead.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted