1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Wine Thread - anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, May 13, 2007.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Slappy - I agree with your take on the Marques de Caceres Crianza. Haven't had the Rioja.
    Another spanish wine I have enjoyed is a garnacha from Las Rocas.
    Also, Rex Goliath makes some pretty good reds, as well - also at a good price.
    And I remember having a viognier from McManus that was about $10.

I'm making red gravy tonight, so I'm about to open a bottle here in a few minutes.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I love the big California Cabs-

3 of my favorite Cabernets

-ZD - for zero defects - a vinyard started by 2 aeronautical engineers

-Jack London series Cab from Kenwood Vinyards

- Clois Du Val

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm a big Coppola wine fan. While I was in high school, my parent's were members of a wine club from a vineyard in San Fran and we always got three bottles of wine every 3-4 weeks. I thought the stuff was awful for the longest time. I guess my tastes expanded because now I love wine. Some good suggestions on here. Thanks for starting this thread, hustle.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Love the Coppola Syrahs.

Also partial to Tudal's Tractor Shed Red.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Chateau Chollet (2000) is on my shelf now, along with a bottle of Toscana Le Bronche (2000) Cabernet Sauvingon
    Those are mid-range to "cheap" wines that taste good.
    Gato Negro is really, really inexpensive but tasty for a red.
    Some of the Kendall Jackson products are good and cheap.
    If you've never drank red win but want to try, get some upscale (usually under $10) Lambrusco.
    That stuff is sweet and almost bubbly, but it should get you interested in pursuing other more refined red wines.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Outside of California Cabs my other favorite red is a Brunello. Expensive but if you want a special wine well worth the money.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Brunellos are great wines.

I like good California Zins as well -- Ravenswood's single vineyard productions are fantastic.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vintner's blend is OK.. not great, but it will do.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Several folks have mentioned Australian wines and I admit that I'm a fan as well although I think that the Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon has been deified to the point of ridiculousness.  My absolute favourite red is Little Penguin Shiraz - a slightly spicy red with a black cherry/vanilla thing going on that I can't get enough of.  It's also very reasonably priced running about $ 12.00 Cdn at the Ontario liquor stores.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's a half step below OK, but it's cheap. One of the most amazing example of a markup was when I went to a fancy bar a couple of years back. They were charging $13 a glass for the Vintner's Blend -- which could be had for $5.99 a bottle.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For whatever reason, I've started drinking wine instead of beer the last six months or so.Still like beer, but beered out after a lifetime or so... maybe.
    So I have found a lot of trial and error. What I do now is when I crack a new blend/brand, I keep a crib sheet of what I like and ont. Parallel 45, red, me like. Panarroz Jumilla, not so...

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Has anyone dared try any of the offerings from Childress Vineyards?

I was thinking I might get a handful of opinions (both on here and among my wine-drinking friends) for my blog in time for the Sonoma race...

Draft saved Draft deleted