1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Wine Thread - anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, May 13, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

My wife charged me with buying wine for a very small shindig we had tonight. She said our friends that were dropping by are chardonnay drinkers, and I should find a 'light' chardonnay for all to enjoy - no intense oak flavor or anything.

So at Total Wine, they have a tasting area. The woman recommends Gumdale from Australia. I take a sample and I have to say, damn, it was pretty good. And the price is right, too: $7 a bottle. So I take two of them home.

Those two and a pair of pinot gris: Oregon-made Big Fire, which I've pimped several times on here, and California-made Pepi. My wife didn't much care for Pepi, which is why I ended up drinking most of the bottle myself. (Hey, I'm a well-rounded drinker.)

And perhaps that's why I ended up starting this thread...

2. Here's the best advice I can give from the most knowledgable person I know on the subject of good affordable wine: You can never go wrong with Robert Mondavi, especially Woodbridge. It's good shit and it makes a perfect gift when you're invited to someone's house for dinner.

I have absolutely nothing else to offer on this thread, except pinot grigio is pretty good but I just realized I don't know how to spell it.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

You spelled it right, so long as you know there's a difference between pinot grigio (Italian) and pinot gris (American and everwhere else).

And I've never had Woodbridge (kinda ironic), as I tend to pick things with more flashy labels (like, say, Twin Fin).

4. The flashy label shit is never as good as the label ... I tried that cool-looking stuff with the kangaroo on the bottle - shabazz? - and it was awful.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The best point you made Hustle is how good the people at TotalWine are at recommending good, inexpensive wines.
    And I'll repeat what I've said before... The Francis Coppola wines are very good for the price. In fact, I've ben commissioned to stop by Total Wine and pick up some Coppolas for Mother's Day dinner at my sister's.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Writer's Block Pinot Noir went down nice and smooth earlier this month. The Zinfandel, not so much. I'm no expert and liking that stuff probably makes me a Grade-A philistine but all that matters is it tastes good.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

If anybody orders Merlot, I'm leaving! I AM NOT DRINKING ANY FUCKING MERLOT!

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Vito Corleone, I drink more wine than I used to. We have a collection of about 150 bottles, almost all California reds.

I agree that the Coppola wines are pretty good -- the Claret with the black label is an excellent deal for about $15. Aussie reds are still a great deal - they have such a huge supply, even for a nation of drunks. You can find very good wines for $12 or less.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One of the advantages of Costco is being able to buy good wine at less than 10 bucks a bottle. I've got a 24-bottle wine rack filled -- then some.
    Found that I like Australian -- especially Penfolds blend -- and hate Peruvian wines.
    When I'm actually awake, I'll prowl and look.
    There's a dry white Rioja with a screw off top (dont laugh) for 6 bucks from Spain ( I think) that's pretty good.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Because of health issues, my wife can't drink reds. So we stick to white. You can get lots of good stuff for less than 10 a bottle, though my definition of good is probably much different than anyone who actually knows anything.

My sister served a ger-vas-something or other last time we were at her place that was ridiculous. So I try to find some of that every time I'm sent to buy. Can't say it, can't spell it, I just look for the long G word.

Aussie wines are very good. Produced much cheaper than wines here.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Looking at the totally other end of the spectrum...

http://www.bumwine.com/

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading the reviews written by these guys.

"Our research shows that Cisco is actually the second best tasting of the five great bum wines, especially if you're having one of those hankerings for cheap Vodka, Jello and Robitussin."

And every one of these, with the exception of Night Train has passed through my lips at one point or another in my life.

Oh, TotalWine is one of my favorite stores.

I tend to like the sweet German beers myself.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Gewürztraminer?

Draft saved Draft deleted