1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose UFC/MMA/That Kind Of Thing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 11, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

Next week on 60 Minutes: "Hey, Grandma, ever hear of this 'Jackass' guy?"

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

I'm sure that high-end retailers will be falling over themselves to advertise in those sports sections so they can reached the coveted Ultimate Fighting demographic.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

And spelling. Because after you posted that, I had to go back into mine a fix an it's/its error, and a misspelling of exertion.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ever hear of Golden Gloves?

Anyone who has ever seen a small-town version of this knows it isn't even close to being a sport.

I'm sorry to the fanboys. But it just ain't.

5. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

Yes. But I've never heard of a Golden Gloves match between Podunk High and Rival High. I could certainly be wrong, but it's nothing I've ever come across in the four states I've covered prep sports.

But just to set the record straight on where I stand with UFC: I don't think it deserves full coverage in daily newspapers -- at least not yet. I do believe it is a sport and it is one that grabs the attention of a lot of the young people. You might remember them. They are the ones newspapers are drooling over to attract to the paper.
    Also, there is nothing wrong with doing features or enterprise pieces about UFC and its many cousins. What we're seeing in USA Today and on 60 Minutes is what I'm talking about.
    I'm not sure why there is so much vitriol about whether it should be considered a sport or not. If nothing else, it gives a reporter the opportunity to look into something off the beaten path. I don't see what can possibly be wrong with that.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Young people do love it.

Young people also love keg races and Faces of Death videos.

But we aren't running out to cover them, are we?

Also, young people don't read. Changing the content to try to appeal to them borders on insane. When/if they begin to read, they'll read the paper, in print form or online. But you aren't going to make someone who doesn't read anything read your paper by covering ultimate fighting.

It doesn't work that way.

You are right -- a feature or takeout is a good idea, and it would have to be a sports person -- news won't do it. But coverage like it was a major sport -- except for the paper in Vegas -- would be crazy.

7. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

It sounds like we are in agreement! Go figure.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Anybody else get the feeling this board gets a few people from the UFC/MMA organizations popping in here just to shill for/promote their business?

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Pritchard,

Off the beaten path, fine. I just don't buy beating a path to it. The latter is your suggestion.

Let's start covering Paintball and get Sidewalk Chalk onto the Arts page.

YHS, etc

10. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

May I ask which small town promotions you have seen?

While they lack the big production budgets of the UFC, Pride FC or K-1 Heroes there are many lesser known promotions that put on tremendously well run shows. For example TKO in Canada, Extreme Challenge in Iowa, King of the Cage in California, Strikeforce, also, in California, Icon Sport in Hawaii, Rumble on the Rock, also, in Hawaii and many more.

Are their bad MMA promoters? Yes.

However, the majority of MMA promoters run respectable promotions.

You could use the same argument with boxing. If you have ever seen really low rent professional boxing you'll get what I mean. Boxing when you have two out of shape guys fighting it out at a small show that's being held at a run down nightclub in a bad area doesn't come across that great either. That's not to say that there aren't many very professional small time boxing promoters who put on great cards despite lacking the production budget of the big boys.

11. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

How did I suggest beating a path to it? I'm simply saying it's a popular event and an excellent opportunity for features and enterprise. And I will beat a path toward anything out of the ordinary if I feel it is worthwhile to the reader.
    And before I get lumped in with the innuendo of being a UFC shill, that is all I'm going to post on this.

12. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

UFC should not be covered daily or even weekly. It should be covered when a major event comes to town and it should be featured every so often. I'm 22, and most of my friends watch UFC fights. Maybe half of them can tell me who Chuck Lidell or Randy Couture are. They don't know the names, they only know the blood.

However, I will say this. I was up in Frisco a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving, and the Chronicle had a feature story on the UFC on its sports cover. That was the absolute first thing I read, before any football or basketball coverage. And I'm NOT a fan. I've never seen an event in my life...

Draft saved Draft deleted