1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose UFC/MMA/That Kind Of Thing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 11, 2006.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

Mr Shoebottom,

The bastard child of legitimate sports is more bastard than child.

Gymnastics and basketball, both sports. Basketball on a trampoline or whatever that shit Pat Croce was foisting simply wasn't even close.

Do the same algebra with roller derby.

UFC and MMA ... they don't become legit by throwing rules out. They lose legitimacy doing so. They're up there with Tough Guy contests. Mere popularity isn't the only measure (or in fact any measure) of what is or isn't a sport. When Fox acquires the rights, my case will be cemented.

YHS, etc

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, Bruce.

You win when I can go watch my local high school compete with the next town over in ultimate fighting.

Until then, it ain't a sport.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i love watching it. would make for good photo spreads in the paper with little text.

4. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

So then, by that logic you don't consider boxing a sport?

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bruce:

The fight they showed as part of the 60 Minutes piece ended when one fighter surrendered to the other because he was being choked. If he hadn't surrendered, he might have become unconscious.
    Great sport you've got there, pal.

6. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Erm, yes there is. The Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts were passed by the New Jersey State Athletic commission in 2000. They have since been adapted by other commissions as well.

Pretty much every MMA show held in the US has to use the unified rules.

MMA shows in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, South Dakota, and Wyoming are exempt. In those states MMA is legal but not regulated by the state athletic commissions. Even still, most MMA shows in those states tend to use the unified rules, but they aren't legally mandated to.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Yes, we have basically unified rules for UFC and MMA here. It's called the Criminal Code of Canada. We leave the length of the rounds up to the provinces.

YHS, etc

8. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

It's been a legal manuever in Olympic judo since pretty much the dawn of time. You get caught in a sumbmission move, you surrender, fight is over. The guy who lost in that fight never even left his feet.

9. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

All due respect YHS, but you're a boxing guy, and MMA's track record for safety is better on it's worst day than boxing ever will be on it's best.

10. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

Bruce, I think you mean "its"

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Say what you want, but I (horribly reluctantly) come down on the side that this is a growing "sport," that readers are going to start demanding coverage of it and, at some point, we might have to give it to them.

At its highest levels -- not talking about every ultimate fighting deal (lowercase deliberate) in every little town -- it has become extremely well-regulated, has big box office draws and is on TV more and more. And with all the rules that a real "sport" has, along with all the physical exertion and demands that a real sport has.

It's not just "beating the shit out of each other" -- it's as structured -- or more -- as boxing.

And we might have to start dealing with it.

And, I'm no fan of it.

12. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

I'm not defending boxing. I'm defending grammar.

Draft saved Draft deleted