1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Tim Tebow sucks/is a deity thread!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's a novelty act, for sure. But as I said upstream, there's a celebrity multiplier for the statline of anyone who can put fannies in the seats.

That's fine. It's a business.

But it's also true that he's taking a roster spot. Is he taking it from a better (more deserving) player? Maybe.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Tebow is fine. Great, great CFB player whose persona overshadowed that. Kinda OK NFL player, acceptable minor league baseball player. Being the last two ain't easy.

Nice enough dude as well.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So what? He loves playing the game and somebody is willing to hire him, there are plenty of players in the bigs that are done and could be replaced by minor leaguers. Are they obligated to retire?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if Tim Tebow loves playing the game. I love playing the game, but I don't deserve a roster spot simply for doing so.

It can be - and is - simultaneously true that Tim Tebow boosts attendance as a middling 30-year-old celebrity AA baseball player, and is also taking up a roster spot that might go to a better, younger ballplayer of whom no one has ever heard.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If he wants to play and the Mets want to hire him, there is nothing wrong with that.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you love to do something and people are willing to pay you to do it you are under no obligation to retire out of good will.

What does deserve have to do with anything? If you could make the owner money and play at that level go ahead.

This happens all the time in your business. How many people start out with help from people they know that didn't necessarily deserve to be there? How many hang on far too long and are a caricature of their former selves?

It's a business and I can't possibly see why an owner would willingly lose money. Tim Tebow is not keeping anyone from making the big leagues, and is making the owner money. Sports are still supposed to be entertainment, he is obviously entertaining enough people to make it worthwhile for the carnival to continue.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You have no way of knowing this.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course not.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are you serious here? The Mets are not keeping a single serious prospect down because of Tebow. What percentage of minor league ball players do you think actually make the MLB?

And let's say somehow they were, that is not Tebow's responsibility.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've seen enough players come up here from High-A and struggle to hit .240 that I'd even question that theory.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems to me that could only be true if he were the worst player on his particular team.

Otherwise, any player in Class A "more deserving" than Tebow should be able to slide into one of the spots held by the players not as good as him.

Draft saved Draft deleted