1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Tim Tebow sucks/is a deity thread!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 11, 2011.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Not totally an uncommon one, though.

He’s financially worth it, even if it shows sports and life aren’t exactly meritocracies.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's certainly a celebrity multiplier when it comes to stats and minor league baseball attendance.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Tebow has to know he's only there because he's Tim Tebow
    I always felt he should have gone to the CFL or switched positions
    He isn't the embarrassment Michael Jordan was but that doesn't mean he should be playing baseball

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

swimming in double-A's is new territory for him, for sure.

Iron_chet, Batman, Big Circus and 6 others like this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

30 year-old prospects do not show potential at AA because there is no such thing as a 30 year-old prospect. Players don't get better at 30, regardless of whether they have been playing.
    A lot of players who never made it to AA could do what Tebow has done. They are just never given the chance because everybody knows they are going nowhere in the end. Remember that there are 4 levels of A ball where players between 18 and about 22 will play feeding into one AA level.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Does Tebow's mother still make his bed?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this. Are you considering the rookie leagues to be a level of A ball? Because all I differentiate is full-season and short-season.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"Defending" Tebow is like "defending" Trump. If you don't agree with the most negative assessment, or with a strawman argument, you're defending him.

I doubt that Tebow will have a true, productive MLB career, though maybe he will get a September call up.

And, yes, I would normally agree with you that there are no 30-year-old prospects.

But, Tebow is a bit of a unique case. He was away from baseball for 10 years before getting back into it last year.

That he's done anything, given those circumstances is a monumental achievement.

And, his numbers in AA this year are better than his numbers in A ball last year. His numbers in his last 10 games -- thank God @Dick_Whitman isn't here to call me on the small sample size -- are better than his numbers earlier in the season.

He's an athletically talented guy. He's strong. He's working hard at getting better. He's certainly not embarrassing himself.

What risk are the Mets taking by giving him a shot?

Even the whole idea that he's "taking up a roster spot" is silly.

Would the 25th man on the Binghamton roster be a better prospect than Tebow? And/or is it going to ruin some player's development if they spend a little more time in A ball, because Tebow is taking up their roster spot at AA?

It's a completely low risk, high reward situation for the Mets. The worst thing that can happen is that fans in Binghamton enjoy watching him play, and be a member of their community.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Agree with every word of that. I was skeptical when he first made the transition, but we're forgetting this is a 6-4, 230-pound outfielder with some proven athleticism. You might give a slightly longer look than a "power to the alleys" middle infielder.

Up to .266 as of this morning. Still too many strikeouts (90 in 71 games), but isn't everyone saying it's becoming a "three true outcome" game?

EDIT: First time I've heard you defend a town smaller than 3 million, YF. Good job. :D

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yes. I lumped them all together because those leagues are where players tend to sort themselves out, promotions can happen quickly, and top college prospects start in High A.

Tim Tebow is not a prospect. End of story. Players are evaluated by their performance and their age. The aging curve is very well established. His performance is remarkable because there are almost never any other players in his situation. We cannot compare him to anybody so we cannot know whether other 30 year-old athletic people could do what he is doing.

And the Ks are a problem for players in the minors. It's one of the first thing to look for in a player's stat line. The k-rate goes up as players move up the chain. A high k-rate in the minors will reach an unsustainable level in the majors, if a player ever gets that far. Brandon Wood.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

3 class a levels, short season (NYP and Northwest) Class A (SAL and Midwest) A Advanced (Cal and FSL)

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you lost you job to Tim Tebow you are not a major league prospect.

Minor league baseball can be a carnival, Tebow is the head carnie.

Draft saved Draft deleted