1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Tim Tebow sucks/is a deity thread!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 11, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

for the 1,675th time, their lease with the stadium runs another 23 years or so and is so ironclad that if an owner said lease be damned, it would be tied up in court for years. LA Is.Not.Happening.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Same thing with the Buccaneers.
    Uninformed idiots keep saying they will be leaving as well.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

ESPN has hired him for the SEC Network.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/30/sec-network-hires-tim-tebow/

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He'll be fine offering a running commentary, I just hope they don't ask him to throw to a commercial break.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tebow humbled himself, and began a baseball career in the low minors.

He was just named to the Eastern League All Star Team, and people are talking about whether or not he'll make it to the majors this year.

He does seem to be improving, and it would be a hell of a story if he could have an MLB career.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

In all, 28 position players have been named to the Eastern League All-Star Game. Here are Tebow's league rankings in major offensive categories:
    BA: T-70
    RBI: T-37
    HR: T-57
    OB%: T-72
    Slug %: T-69
    OPS: 67

There is only one reason he is an All-Star: fame. If he gets called up, fame will be the only explanation. If everybody with those stats got a call-up, MLB rosters would have to exceed 60.

Good for him for working at it. Let's not confuse one good month with large-scale merit.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The novelty factor has something to do with his all-star selection as would a September call-up by the Mets. He’s not exactly embarrassing himself. I think it’s remarkable what he’s done considering it had been so long since he had played baseball.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mets will bring him up as a September callup to boost attendance and try to get a couple backpages from the tabs away from the Yankees and the NFL teams. Which is a Mets thing to do.

That being said, considering he didn't play baseball for a long time and having a couple other careers in football and broadcasting, he's not doing too badly, especislly considering how hard it is for players just to reach Double-A.

Neutral Corner and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He's doing very well for someone who was away from the game for as long as he was. Hitting better in Double-A than in mid-level A ball is rare, I would imagine. But tell this guy that he's supposed to be content when he loses out on the call-up to Tebow. The linked player, Zach Borenstein, is in his eighth pro season and has 16 HR in Triple-A this year after hitting 24 a year ago.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You'd hope they bring him up in September too, as a reward. But of course, these are the Mets.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Count me among the surprised. Doing better than I would have ever expected in Double-A. But yeah, his numbers aren't good enough to be an All-Star. But I really don't have an issue with that. The minor leagues have a long history of gimmicks. Tebow brings eyeballs.

And there is a 100 percent chance the Mets will call him up in September. Normally, I'd call BS. But this Mets team is so putrid that I'm past the point of caring. And it's still June.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is quite the drum up by you.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted