1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

“Balance Of Terror” was an hour of amazing television.

Mngwa likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stallone just keeps going with these broken-down badass roles.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

Just to see Mace Windu and a young Dooku alone, I'm looking forward to this.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Dont know if anybodys been watching Star Trek Lower Decks but this week’s epp was brilliant. They’re having a great season

7. outofplace

Damn Paramount. I have too many streaming services as it is!

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd checked out on Doctor Who for a while during the Jodie Whittaker era, but came back tonight for her send-off. It was pretty good. The focus on the companions and what happens when they leave the life was interesting.
    Plus, the regeneration was .... interesting.

Seems we have David Tennant back for a limited run as the Doctor, before Ncuti Gatwa takes over late in 2023.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker's regeneration reveals a new Doctor

9. JimmyHoward33

I really enjoyed Jodi as the Doc on a performance level. On a story level it was confusing disjointed and nothing ever really landed.

Felt a litle left behind last night as I never watched pre reboot and didnt know who any of those companions were

I think the convultedness of the storylines with the Time Lords and the various Master incarnations and the regeneation cycle retcon that started with the 50th special and the Matt Smith exit just confuses way too many people. The shows been impossible to really follow since then

I’m really excited to watch the performance of the (Spoiler) but I’m not expecting the reason why to make a lick of sense. Its essentially gonna be “this guest star will pop a rating so shut up and enjoy”

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm of the same mind. I've enjoyed the performances of Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaker, but the writing in a lot of their stories was a convoluted mess. It started during Matt Smith's second season with the Silence and River Song and all of that mess. There was important stuff happening in online bits that was hard to keep up with and redirects to the misdirects ... Matt Smith was great, but it was a mess. It always felt like I was coming in three episodes into a five-part story arc.
    Then they got deep in the weeds on continuity and fan service — understandably so — as the 50th anniversary approached. It was good history, but also seemed like they had their head a bit far up their own ass.
    Capaldi's stories were largely underwhelming, and suffered from some of the same issues.
    I liked Whittaker's energy and vibe. It seemed like there were some new villains with intriguing premises, like the time traveler who was trying to change history with subtle changes that prevented major events from happening. I was even pleasantly surprised that they didn't lean too hard into the "first female Doctor" thing during her first season. Then it seemed like they started randomly dropping episodes once every 14 months and it got hard to keep up with it. This past season they introduced another previously unknown version of the Doctor who, from what I can tell, retcons a lot of the show's considerable history.

Even with this new 14th Doctor, hopefully they come to a soft reboot when Gatwa takes over and RTD can get back to what worked so well from 2005 to 2011.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

As a rotten American I always felt like, hey, there was a reason they killed off all the time lords when they relaunched, it makes everything easier. Get back to that

12. outofplace

I've never really gotten into Doctor Who, just watching episodes here and there over the years, but I did stumble upon the latest regeneration on YouTube and really liked the scene, including the performances by both actors.

Draft saved Draft deleted