1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I like anything that knocks my little stinker's socks off, so I am good with Marvel.
    I just wish the makers would admit the films feel 'controlled' from a storytelling perspective.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As opposed to the time when Rian Johnson got the keys to Star Wars and took the overall storyline off the rails.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Johnson was horrible for Star Wars. Would any nerd in good standing here not agree?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He made some poor choices, but the real issue was the lack of planning from the top. They did not have a coherent storyline for the three sequels and that made a mess of things.

The other problem was that Star Wars fans just wanted more of the original cast. The plan seemed to be to pass the torch to characters like Rey, Poe Dameron, and Finn, but it just didn't work. Maybe those characters weren't compelling enough, or maybe fans just couldn't move past their love for the original trilogy. I think the success of The Mandalorian is proof that it is both. Fans do still want to see characters from the original trilogy and the animated series that bridge the gap, but they will move on if you give them characters that are worth following.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Duly noted, but - and this is my opinion now - the story arc worked OK until Johnson arrived. He was the one who mangled it.

Johnson is the worst directorial choice the franchise has ever made.

9. outofplace

Fucking Yahoo. The front page has a spoiler for the new Batman movie in a headline.

I don't care that much. I'm not even sure I'm going to see it in the theater, but that's just shitty.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

People still go to the front page of Yahoo?

11. outofplace

The fantasy baseball league I run is on Yahoo. I had to go to the home page to sign in.

JRoyal likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted