1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It really is. For being aimed at children, they do a pretty good job of delivering a story arc that isn't so watered down that it borders on insulting. They don't have complex B or C stories, which I can live with.

I have also seen Trekies poo poo it for being too much like Star Wars. I'm not sure why that is a bad thing. The difference between the two franchises was always budget and platform. If you can tell a Trek story that looks and feels like Rebels, I'm down.

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Why not both? The unicorns do exist, and geek girls are far more common than they were back when I was a single guy.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I am not a Trekkie, but my best childhood friend is. So I bought him the platinum pass to this Trek Convention that had Spock and Kirk there for his 30th birthday. I got the plain ticket so he did a lot on his own. I met a unicorn geek girl there (this is well after I was married). She was this uber-hot British girl that flew from England to Minneapolis to go to this convention. I tried my damndest to get my buddy to socialize with her. But he has no game, so he stuck to Trek talk and never even tried to dig deeper, even though I could tell she was into him.
    He's still single 15 years later and I truly believe he missed his soulmate! LOL

6. Neutral Corner

Truly, attractive geek/nerd girls are not the unicorns they once were. When I started going to SF conventions in the early 80's it was truly rare to find a good looking unattached girl at a con, and they were outnumbered thirty or forty to one. There were plenty of women around but they were generally married or girlfriend of a guy attending. In the post Star Trek/Star Wars/MCU con world things are radically different. I would guess that attendance is close to 50-50 M/F, and all you have to do is Google up cosplay photos from San Diego Comic Con or Dragoncon to see that many of them are good looking.

Available? Well, you still have to have game...

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is that a temporary one until they get a more permanent one? The article says he'll be working for The Hand, so the one they show in those panels seems like a fitting tweak to make it more Japanese and Ninja-y for this story. There's a Samurai vibe to it. And then there are some other panels with his more traditional logo.

9. Neutral Corner

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Kevin Smith Explains Why Warners Bros.
    Will Press Forward with Keaton's Batman
    Rather Than Affleck's Flaccid Rendition

http://geektyrant.com/news/kevin-sm...icheal-keatons-batman-instead-of-ben-afflecks

It's pretty far from a terrible thing that Affleck will not be involved with Batman anymore.
    That was the 'Urban Meyer hiring decision' of the comic book cinematic universe.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nearly a year later, Whedon still seems to have gotten away with this and his mistreatment of Ray Fisher and Gal Gadot on the set of Justice League. Of course, Whedon refuses to be accountable for anything. He has insisted that Fisher's part was cut because he didn't think it made sense and the acting was bad. Anybody who has seen the Snyder cut knows that is utter bullshit. Gadot accused him of threatening to ruin her career. Whedon suggested that she didn't understand him properly because English isn't her first language. Way to double down on being a piece of shit, Whedon.

Joss Whedon Finally Addresses Misconduct Charges Leveled By Gal Gadot, Ray Fisher And 'Buffy' Cast

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Boys is getting an animated spinoff called The Boys Presents: Diabolical. Premiere is March 4. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted