1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

WANT.

garrow and JRoyal like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We're not doing Dragoncon again this year, but my FB feed is eat up with DC posts. As an example of what it's like, here is someone posting their completed cosplay before going to the Con.

[​IMG]

JRoyal likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

A Spider-Man No. 1 just sold yesterday at auction for $3.6 million.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Octave likes this.
  6. outofplace

DC's new Superman comes out as bisexual: 'Today, more people can see themselves'

I'm not a big DC comics guy, but I was aware that Clark Kent's son, Jon Kent, took on the Superman mantle after some rapid aging shenanigans and something about his father losing some of his power. (Maybe somebody who reads more DC can clear that up.)

Now, Jon Kent is coming out as bisexual. Is it a big deal because it is Superman even though it isn't Clark Kent?

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The way people who probably have never read a Superman comic are reacting, it is. But, of course, they don't read the stories either and most think it's Clark Kent. There's another chunk that have always said, "Create new characters if you want to make them LBGTQ/black/Asian/etc." who are losing their minds that they made a new character and made him bisexual.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Fiction, be it science or other, would be an excellent place to introduce more LBGTQ characters and stories that introduce the idea that as the earth becomes more and more overpopulated and resources more and more scarce humans begin evolving/adapting in ways that discourage procreation.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So, anyone watch Critical Role? I started during the pandemic, leaving it on in the background while I worked and watching some when I laid down for bed, and I got hooked. I blame my sons. I swore I'd never watch people play a roleplaying game for four hours, but now I've watched nearly 300 episodes of them and a couple of others. Campaign 3 starts next week, and I'm incredibly excited. Working with a friend to try to get a D&D game going for ourselves. Played growing up, and I'd love to get back into it.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you have HBO Max by whatever way you get it (including your cable subscription), then you can go watch Dune anytime up to Nov. 21.

JRoyal and garrow like this.
  11. outofplace

Superman colorist quits over comic's embrace of wokness: 'Tired of this s***'

I guess this is one of those guys.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Not every comic artist understands the history of the characters, and Superman is one of the most misunderstood. "Truth, Justice and the American Way" wasn't his motto until WWII, and it wasn't even in the comics; it was in the radio show they did. It was then part of the 1950s TV series, and then kinda disappeared until the 1980s movies. The comics have went back and forth with things like that and "Truth, Justice and Freedom." So them using something else is just the history of the character. "The American Way" hasn't really been in favor since the 1990s. So him pretending changing the motto was the last straw was total bullshit. They changed it a few months back and then changed it again. "The American Way" was never a driving force for the character as much as "Truth" and "Justice" always have been, His comment at the end of that story reveals why he's really leaving. He didn't want to look like a bigot for quitting over bi Superman, so he used his grandfather as cover to quit now.

Draft saved Draft deleted