1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Capeshit.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I only know a little about the comic and I hadn't heard this one was so close to being ready to air, but I'm very much in. I love the choice of J.K. Simmons as Omni-Man.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just to add a bit more about Invincible, it is based on a comic by Robert Kirkman. The world of the comic is very different from The Walking Dead, but I think there are some similar themes. Also, a big chunk of the voice cast is made up of actors from The Walking Dead series.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to "Invincible." I've only read a couple of issues, but it looks like it should be pretty good.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t Anakin Skywalker have been a legend on Tatooine when Luke was growing up there?

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I finally read Ready Player One, which is really a love story to '80s video games. And I give all the credit to the screenwriters, which includes the author, and Spielberg for pulling such a good movie out of it. The book is really just one person telling a story. Yet, they retained the key characters for the movie and put together a cohesive story, with the same main points, but having actual human interaction.

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed the book. For the movie, I made the mistake of watching the film with very high expectations and was let down greatly.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I can see that. Because it's not the book.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maybe. Basically the only thing anyone would have known about him is that he's the only human to win a pod race and he was never seen again. His only return to Tatooine was to slaughter some nameless/faceless sand people and then he was gone again. Not sure how much anyone on the planet would know or care about him.

We also don't know for certain that he wasn't a legend on Tatooine. Anakin's status among the people of Tatooine is never really established. The only time we see Luke on Tatooine outside of his uncle's moisture farm is talking to Jawas, lining up a flight off the planet among a cadre of nefarious characters who wouldn't know him or want to draw attention to themselves anyway, and when he's fighting Jabba. Jabba seems like the only opportunity for Anakin to even be mentioned and, again, he was just a slave kid who won the Boonta Eve race decades earlier.

My guess is that he wouldn't be a legend. Maybe known among the slave kids who grew up with him, but not world famous.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By the time Luke was a kid, Anakin had been a Jedi and General in the Clone Wars. I’m watching Clone Wars and it seems Anakin was a well known Jedi and war hero. Whether anyone put 1+1 together is a question. But much like Obi Wan aging 30 years in the 18 years between episode 3 & 4, it seems some things were squeezed in without really trying to fit it in perfectly.

Draft saved Draft deleted