1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Re: Battlestar Galactica . . . Anyone else watch it?

There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. They may have been the architects of the great pyramids, or the lost civilizations of Lemuria or Atlantis. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens . . .

Fuck the newer show.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

outofplace, Galactica '80 is a terrific piece of schlock. It didn't suck so hard when viewed through the eyes of a child.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember ... was Galactica '80 the series of episodes when they finally find earth and realize it has no technology to defeat the Cylons? Or was it a completely different series.

5. outofplace

Yes, that was it.

And Jackson, the way you view Galactica 1980 is the way I saw the original series, though I loved it at the time. I was a child and I hated Galactica 1980. Except for the Starbuck episode.

Think about how dark a premise both shows started with. The Cylons attack and nearly wipe out the entire civilization. On the bring of extinction, humanity is on the run, searching for its legendary lost tribe.

The original followed that storyline, but the tone of the show just didn't fit.

The new series has had a hard time maintaining it, too, but it is at its best in the dark places. The miniseries and the first regular episode, 33, were as good as science fiction television gets.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think that will be interesting to see is if the show has an arc of planned episodes and they'll cut if off then or if they will try to drag the show on for as long as possible.
    I have heard interweb chatter of a prequel show/movie/mini-series of what life was like before the attack. So I don't know what to think.

7. outofplace

There is a prequel series in the works. I think it is called Caprica. It goes back to the initial creation of the Cylons and their eventual revolt against humanity. Follows two families, the Adamas and another one the name of which I forget.

I wonder how long they can keep the current series good. It has already lost some steam, though there are some tremendous episodes (the actual escape from New Caprica) mixed in with the merely solid.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes. We earthlings call them "Christian Scientists."

9. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

The best episodes so far (not counting the miniseries):

1. The Hand of God (season 1) — They attack the Cylon mining facility. Great interaction between Adama and his son.
    2. Bastille Day (season 1) – The episode that introduces Tom Zarek as the terrorist character. He takes over the prison ship.
    3. Resistance (season 2) — This is the last episode that had the edgy, jaw-dropping moments of the first season and the peak so far. After this episode, I think things started to go downhill.
    4. Flesh and Bone (Season 1) — Starbuck interrogates the humanoid cylon Leobon.
    5. Kobol's last gleaming (two-part Season 1 finale) — The end of this episode had my roomate so shocked, we literally shouted "You've got to be kidding me!"
    6. Scattered (Season 2) — Tigh takes control of the ship while Adama is in the hospital and the rest of the fleet jumps to the wrong coordinates. Galactica has to find them. A lot of flashbacks about Tigh and Adama.
    7. Fragged (season 2) — Galactica has to rescue those stranded on Kobol, while Tigh debates whether to declare martial law.

As you can see, all of my favorites are from the first season or the first half of the second.

If they can get back to that kind of television, who knows?

By the way, any Firefly/Serenity fans here?

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Of course! That series rocked, but for some reason I don't miss it a lot. Whedon is great. Never watched Buffy, but I have read his run of X-Men comics. Guy can write some dialogue. Firefly was great. I loved the humor.

11. outofplace

Excellent list (though I think 33 has to be on any list like this). The end of Kobol's Last Gleaming was Boomer shooting Adama, right? I remember how shocked I was by that one.

It especially struck me how long that scene took before they faded out. You know it would end with him bleeding and everybody else flipping out, but it really seemed to take a while, as if they were making sure it sunk in for the viewer what had just happened.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My dork hand is raised. Of course Fox jacked the show around so much, I didn't watch it when it first aired, but I did see all the episodes when SciFi re-aired them. And I went and saw the movie at the theater when it came out.
    The writing was excellent and I think highly of Wheedon, but I never really watched Buffy or the spinoff (s?)

Draft saved Draft deleted