1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So you only like romcoms and docudramas then? ;)

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Interacting with each other takes a lot of forms. Dialogue and action (fight scenes, for example) can both be interaction. And just because something has a green screen doesn't mean it inherently doesn't require acting and interaction. The actors usually are still there and still working together, even if one of them has effects laid over him later. But the special effects argument has been made for decades. Some people prefer things toned down and will always like a movie like "Pulp Fiction" over a movie like "The Dark Knight" or "Lord of the Rings." To each their own.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Those are good points. I would say that The Dark Knight has more in common with Pulp Fiction than it does with Lord of the Rings or an MCU movie, just in terms of being grounded and not doing so much with special effects.

If people want to assume there isn't much interaction among characters in movies with a lot of special effects, there isn't much we can do to change their minds. They are missing out. I'm probably missing out due to some of my movie choices, too. For example, I don't really care for horror films. I missed out on seeing Get Out in the theaters, only catching it later on television when I already knew a big about the plot. It's really more of a thriller than a pure horror movie, but my own biases kept me from seeing a really good movie for a while.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Cop Rock" and "Manimal," mostly.

spikechiquet likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm weird. I like a little of everything. Well, everything but Westerns. I've never been able to get into those. And I can't stand a lot of classic movies because even though I know it was just the times, I see a lot of racism when I watch them and it bugs me. That said, I love Hitchcock films and some of the classic Christmas movies from way back.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Man, I loved "Get Out." It should have won Best Picture, quite honestly. Well, I saw five of the nominees - Shape of Water, Dunkirk, The Darkest Hour, The Post and Get Out, and it was by far the best of the bunch. Film students will study that film.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Get Out requires multiple rewatches because of the multi-layered symbolism. I watched it for the first time recently and didn't catch many things later discovered in a discussion thread.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. bigpern23

Good god I'm pissed this show is going to be on CBS All Access or whatever the fuck that is. I'm not buying into yet another streaming service. This show should be killing the ratings on Network Tele-fucking-vision.

9. outofplace

I'm right there with you. Each time I see a new trailer, I get even angrier that I can't see it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. bigpern23

I don't know how the CBS All Access works, but if it's like Netflix where an entire season is dumped at once to allow binge-watching, I may buy it for a month to watch it. The show looks great, and I'd pay $15 to see it. But I'm not adding another service at $10/month for six or seven seasons to see it, particularly when I already pay to see CBS, which is, ostensibly, a free channel!!!

11. outofplace

I know Hulu avoids people doing that by the way it drops seasons. I'm not sure about CBS. I pre-ordered Disney-Plus to get a deal, but there is no way I can justify a third streaming service. Hell, there is already a lot on Netflix that holds some interest for me and I never get around to it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My bet is they will not drop the whole season at once; they'll stretch it out over three or four months -- theoretically six, if they drop an episode every two weeks.

According to this, they plan to release the 10 episodes weekly:

New ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Trailer Teases the Return of Old Friends; Premiere Date Revealed

Draft saved Draft deleted